Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I have a 63 Ford Falcon Convertible. It had the stock 4 lug wheels with new P185/80R/13 tires on them. I wanted to make it look better so i bought some Unique SERIES 96 Chrome Modular

http://uniquewheel.com/images/products/96.jpg

The spec's are below.
96--3544 13x5.5 4-4.5 03 1/4"

Any way the tires are now rubbing. The wheels look to be the same width, backspace, etc.

I did notice that my bushing's at the rear leaf spring's seam to be a bit worn and some movement. also I have air shock and it help's a bit.

Any ideas on what to do or how to fix this? I really would like to keep these wheels and tires.

Any advice would be helpfull.

Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
Back spacing would be my best guess. Why don't you measure one of the old steelies and one new wheel, and compare. They may look similar but still be different depth. Where are they scrubbing? Upper wheel wells, ball joints?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We tried that and they measure 100% the same. That's whats so wierd.

They are rubbing on the inside lip of the fender wall, Above the wheel at the top side of the tire.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Stock backspacing is 3 1/4? I measured mine and it's 4 1/2 and I just got same wheel size but a 4 back spacing and now I'm close. I bet it's your back spacing that's a deep setup.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
You may not want to do this but I did. I put tires on a 66 fairlane and was scrubbing inter lip as well. I took a 12 inch 2 by 4 , wrapped it in a towel and placed on inside the fender. Took a bottle jack and got me another inch. No it didnot crack the paint, cannot tell anything was done . It does not scrub anymore. New paint as well and a pretty exspensive GT.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank's for the reply's. Yes, My backspace is off. I have remeasured and have found it is about 3/4" diffrent from the original wheel. the guy at the tire shop had originaly measured and said they were the same.

Anyway, Now I need to figure out what to do. One thing I found is that my bushings in the rear shackels are worn and move alot. I will replace them soon and i hope this will help.

Do they make anything that can put a flair in the fender a bit. kind of like the front?

Or could a shop do this. I am planning on painting it soon so not so woried about the paint.

one last question. Many of you have done a swap to a 5 lug rear. is this any narrower. would this help?

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts