Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 61 F100 Unibody truck that I'm planning to swap in a EFI 302 for motivation.

Here's what i have:
Complete motor and trans from 88 Marquis (speed density, and non computer AOD)

Explorer GT40 intake, upper and lower
25lb injectors,
Explorer throttle body (70mm maybe?)
A9L computer

Not planning on running the speed density I've been picking up better parts.
I'm planning on putting an E303 cam in the mix as well

I want to run this as stripped down as possible, nothing extra, wires hidden as much as possible.

I know I need a MAF sensor, but what one to get?
Also needing a new wiring harness, something stripped down and clean (willing to pay for quality, I hate electrical)

I'll also need a fuel pump, one that's external to the tank, as I still want to run the stock fuel tank.

What else should I be on the hunt for? Any recommendations? Not looking for wild horsepower or anything, just a solid, reliable motor with decent mileage.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Keep the 19lb injectors 24 lbs will be over kill run a factory 89 to 93 mustang MAF you will have to adapt the mustang throttle arm to the Exploder throttle body so you can use the AOD TV cable. Fuel system is easy but you will need a return line to tank and a vented cap.

Painless has a nice harness for the 5.0 Swap

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you refer to mustang parts, are you meaning my marquis donor?
Anyone have inuput on what MAF sensor to get, or a good fuel pump to support it?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Not sure on the throttle are on the marquis would have to see a picture

Just run a factory mustang mass air flow sensor

Check late 80s mid 90s Ford pickup for the fuel pump and external reservoir

here I posted this on another thread

If I can make a couple of suggestions, move the fuel pump closer to the fuel tank you will not need the feeder pump. also ford has a factory accumulator that works better than the remote filter conversions it has the the return lines can be found on late 80s early 90 Ford trucks and vans.

I mounted my factory ford external pump fuel and filter under the Ranchero on the flat panel in front of the rear end and the reservoir by the tank. It has been trouble free since 2002 when I first converted it to EFI.

Here is the last motor put in around Christmas last year, this is the 3rd junkyard 5.0 that I have put in,
this is an explorer intake and throttle body on a 5.0 HO mustang motor in my 73 Ranchero

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
He's saying to run the MAF and injectors that were paired with the A9L computer so it knows what to expect without having a seizure. That would be '89-'93 Mustang-style MAF and 19# injectors.

David

·
Registered
146 Posts
So I have a 61 F100 Unibody truck that I'm planning to swap in a EFI 302 for motivation.
Good luck, man. I am almost done installing EFI from a 90 Mustang into my 68 Ranchero. Be patient. If you don't like wiring, this is going to be a nightmare for you. It's not overly complicated, it just takes time and patience. I've really taken my time, working about half a day a week for the last 3 months or so. Before any of that work started, I took a long weekend to sort through the Mustang wiring harness and remove everything that I didn't plan on using.

There is a lot of experienced people on this site, who will be able to help you along the way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts