Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rencently put a 289/c4 combo into my 65 mustang. It came out of another mustang of mine. when it was in the other car, the c4 would not start off in 1st (started off in 2nd) unless you put it in 1st and reverse would engage kinda hard. when it was pulled out of the car, my father was gonna use it in his so we got a rebuild kit and instruction video and he rebuilt it. He followed all the instructions and put it all together. The problem is, now it doesnt have reverse at all. All the linkage is right, its got all the fluid. i havent driven it, but Drive engages, reverse doesnt. what do you guys think. He adjusted the bands according to the video. do you think it might be the band adjustment? any ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
Here's a link to a similar prob that i helped out someone else that had no reverse also.

http://fomoco.com/forummain/results.asp?Page=1&Max=80&Option=0&Name=on&Email=on&Key=transmission%20problems

If you go down the list my post explains how to air test the reverse band.
When you say drive engages that shows the forward clutch is ok and that you do have some oil pressure.What will help is if you can drive it and check if 3rd gear is ok.The reason for this is that reverse uses the low/rev band and the direct clutch.If 3rd is ok then the direct clutch is working.This is just to try to pinpoint the exact source of the problem. That leaves the rev band or piston.
If the oil is ok then it is time to go back inside and check the band struts are in place and do the air test to see if the band is applying.If it is then there is a v.b prob..I hope i haven't confused you too much.I posted the link to save a bit of typing...Any questions just ask .I'm sure there is something simple to fix the prob...GOOD LUCK

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gregaust on 2/4/02 6:19pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Most likely the struts have fallen off the reverse band.

Other causes might be:

the reverse servo piston rubber is hard and needs replaced

improper revsere band adjustment.

and yes, valve body, wrong seperator plate gaskets, missing check balls.

If you need a C4 book, check http://www.bulkparts.com they have pretty fair prices and no, I don't work for them. I have ordered from them over the years and like their parts selections, prices and service.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, here are some more things to go off of. last night when i started the car and it was still cold, reverse engaged. it seemed to back up just fine. however once it warmed up, it would still engage but barely move, and if you gave it gas, the engine would just rev. I took it for a drive and it had the same symptoms as before the rebuild. it wouldnt start in first if you put it in drive unless you put it in 1st gear. it shifted into second fine but would not shift into third. the reverse servo piston is new and the bands were adjusted according to the video. when we pulled the valve body apart during rebuild, there were no check balls in it. what do you guys think

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
two thoughts....

1) could you have installed the pump sealing rings in the wrong groves and loosing pressure. there are 4 sealing rings, two of each size, the larger pair go to the front of the pump, the smaller pair go toward the rear of the pump/transmission. If they are broken or installed wrong, you loose pressure and high gear won't apply properly.

2)the governor, i think the sealing rings are the same for it, but the governor could be stuck. did you disassemle the governor?

One last item or two...

1) might be nicked seals in the foward/reverse clutch pack. I believe the forward clutch pack has to engage along with the reverse band to otain reverse in a C4. And your problem deals with both high gear and reverse.

2) too much clearance in the foward/reverse clutch pack

You might try doing an air test for leaks and to see if the clutch pack, bands engage before pulling the transmission. Or do a pressure test of the fluid pressure in each gear. Should be around 175 psi.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts