Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to to put the biggest tires I can on the back of my daily driver. I want to keep the wheel wells just as they are from factory, so no tubs or other modifications. Is there a general rule for stuffing big tires into a wheel well. What is the minimum ammount of clearance that must be maintained when selecting new tires? For example, how much space must be provided for wheel/suspension travel? We have all seen tires so large/wide that they will just about hang out past the fender lips. If you hit a bump or pothole the suspension is going to allow the wheel to travel upward and closer to the fender lip. If the tire is already too tight in the wheel well, its going to rub or just plain get ruined by hitting the fender. So generally, how big can you go on until the tire becomes too big and will make contact with the inner fender or the fender lip? Must you leave an inch all around, two inches...or more?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Well I am not the person to answer this because I like it low, I figure if you can stick your fingers between the the tire and the fender you are close, but it depends on your suspension, mine is stiffend up quit a bit, before I put on the aluminum heads and removed the bigass heavy scatter shield I could not even get my pinky between the tire and fender ( 225X50X16 ) in the front, rubbed a little when turning and rubbed a lot when turning with a passenger, now the front came up an inch with the new lighter parts and no rub now, I can now put my hand flatened out in there with room to spare.

Doubt that helped you much.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
What kind of car?

Put in poly bushings- there will be less movement, so you can go even closer to the fender. My tires in the rear are about a fingers width away, maybe a little less in some spots.

The right size tires and wheels make a car.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car's a 1980 T-Bird. There not exactly known for smooth lines and the fender wells are no different. The fenderwell openings are kind of high and squared off and "boxie". Its tough to get that wrap around, tight to the tire look. I need a tire about 28-29" tall in the back and about 27" tall on the front. I just dont want to get tires that are too big and have them rub or hit the fenders on bumps. I currently have 25.1" tires on the rear and 24.8" on the front. They look way too small for such a big car. I have 1.5" to 2+" room in every direction to plus size the rims from a 14" to a 15" rim, then increase overall tire size. I'm doing a rear swap anyway, so poly-bushings will replace the O.E.M. I already installed heavy duty coil springs and plan to instal KYB shocks.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Once i determined the wheels I wanted to run I went to the tire store and test fitted a few tires. If they really want to sell you some, they'll let you try them on. I didnt even buy them fom that store i tried them on at

1964 Comet 289 C4 daily driver
TFS TW, Weiand Stealth, Comp XE268, Rhodes lifters, TFS roller rockers, Carter 625 AFB, Hooker SuperComps
"These go to 11." -This is Spinal Tap

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragman64 on 3/23/02 12:07pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
That car is based on the Fox body style and will generally accomodate close to what works on the mustang. I'm figuring a 245-275 section tire with the possiblity of rolling the rear fender lip in to provide some extra clearance. I'd start with the 245/50/17 on a rim designed to fit the mustang. If you still have room with this one, you could run it on the front and try the 275/40 on the rear.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I know this doesnt help, but I have 305/50/15's on the back of the Cougar and have about 1/2" on each side on 15x81/2 rim. A friend is running 255/50/16 on his 80 something Cougar.
Here's a pic of my tire.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was origionally thinking about running something like or equal to 275/60/R15 on the back. Although I might consider a 16" rim. I didnt know that you could get the tire to be so close to the fender areas, and still be alright. I have often heard about rolling the fender lips in, but never saw what it looks like. When you refer to rolling the lip of a fender, what exactly are you doing? Is any kind of cutting required? When I put my current tires on the back(235/60/R14), the guy at Firestone acted like they were too big and wouldnt be too good a fit. Once they were mounted up, I saw that they were just way too small and was really mad that I had listened to the guy. Looking back now its not that big a deal, since I'm doing a swap to a 8.8 rear/3.73 gears and 5 lug axles anyway. The new gears are a big factor in needing to get a tire aroung 28-29" tall. (Would you believe that the boxie birds came with a 7.5" rear and 2.26 gears)

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Rolling the fender lip is just that. It comes out at an angle and you can use a piece of wood and a hammer and slowly roll it up and give yourself a 1/2 to an inch of additional clearance. There are some specific tools out there for the same thing, but can't remember where they are available. Check the archives and you'll find it I'm sure. You might want to consider lowering the car rather than going with huge rolling stock. It'll have the same effect of filling your fender wells and make your car handle better as well. It all depends upon the look you are going for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts