Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the "Tech Board" and someone said I should throw it out here!!

Also, "Level 10" suggests cutting the "Pink/White" wire in the trans harness (Where is it??) and installing a switch to control the TC locking!! Sounds GOOD but will my EEC like that....Throw CEL!!!???

Thanks in advance!!

(QUOTE)

Back in the Summer I bought a 1996 F-350 dually with a 460 and the above tranny!! GREAT truck.....STRONG as an OX but the damn Ford EEC control for the tranny SUX.....BIG TIME!!!

Light acceleration and the 1-2 shift is fine then the TC locks (partially??) in second gear and the 2-3 shift is firm.....No complains on light acceleration!!

Moderately strong (aggressive??) acceleration and 1-2 is firm and TC lock is nice BUT the 2-3 shift feels like the rear end is gonna come up to the cab!!!! The 3-4 shift is firm but not with the "Bucking" feeling of the 2-3 shift!!

WOT it does good and possibly the 2-3 shift is smoother due to wheel spin??

I have learned a lot about this thing in that it is not MAF controlled (Speed Density) and NOBODY makes a chip for it!!!

Is there any way to keep the TC from locking in second??

Thanks in advance!!

Cobrajack

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I have never seen a torque converter lock in second gear. It should only lock in 3rd and 4th. That's what mine does.

To find the wire you need to trace the wiring harness from the trans and work your way up. Any position in that harness between the EEC and the trans will work.
The switch mod works good. I did it and use it when towing. I didn't like the way the converter would lock when I was trying to excellerate from a stop with the loaded trailer. With the lock up feature turned off, It would excellerate fine; just like a normal 3 speed(I don't use OD while towing). After I get up to speed, I lock the copnverter manually while maintaining speed. The EEC doesn't know the difference.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!!

I just felt the TC lock when I depressed the accelerator in 3rd but after it warms up it feels like it locks in 2nd at moderate acceleration?? I wonder if the TPS might be bad causing this silly stuff??

Cobrajack

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cobrajack on 1/6/07 10:45pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I suppose it could be the TPS. I don't know. It just doesn't seem right to lock up in second.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
clevelandstyle,

Your diagram says "Test pins located on break out box".....What and where is that??

Also says "All harness connectors viewed into mating surface"....What does that mean??

I looked under the truck and it appears the plug in the diagram is on the right side of the trans but beside the exhaust and will be a BEAR to get to....if that's it??

If I can find the TC wire I will cut it and add the switch so I can at least be able to control the TC locking!!

Thanks!!

Cobrajack

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
On my truck the break out box is under the hood on the drivers side, toward the back. There is a lot of clutter there so I did my wire down closer to the trans. Yeah the pipe is close, but it wasn't too bad to get to.

Also, I noticed that the "pink" wire wasn't what I would call pink. It was a lavender type of color. The main thing is that it is on pin number 4.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks,

I'll try to cut it this week and report back as to my results!!

Funny thing happened last week......I talked with a guy in Walterboro, SC who is a DiabloSport and SCT dealer and explained my dilemma!! He called Diablo and they said he could add a chip to control a "Speed Density" setup while my Marauder Diablo tuner guy says Diablo could possibly do it but that there is no "Template" in place for such!!

He said I could send him my EEC and he could download the my "Stock" program and send it to Diablo to analyze and then "Re-Program" it for whatever I wanted but this could get EXPENSIVE!!

As you can tell from these posts....I passed on both....especially the local guy who was gonn take about $400 from me to program a chip tha probably would not work??

BTW....Baumann Engineering agreed with my Marauder tuner too!!

Cobrajack

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it finally stopped raining long enough for me to get under the truck and FIND the wire to cut!!

First off the plug on the trans is a PITA to even touch so I found a convenient place to unwrap the wire bundle and proceed to try and find the "Pink/White" wire!! They were so dirty I had to clean them so I could distiguish the colors....but could not find a SINGLE "PINK" WIRE!!

The instructions stated that later models may have a "Pink/Yellow" wire so I began looking for a yellow trace and found it ON A "LAVENDER" looking wire (as mentoned above)......almost "Purple" and.......THAT WAS IT!!!!

It works like a charm and the rough shifting is gone with the TC "OFF"!!

Thanks again "clevelandstyle" for your help on this....I couldn't have figgered it out without ya!!!

Cobrajack

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Good deal. I'm glad it worked out for you.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FWIW.....

Yesterday I installed an LED lighted switch and a relay under the truck to connect the EEC to the TC solenoid......I have a photo but can't figger out how to attach it??

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cobrajack on 1/21/07 9:20pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It did it again so back to the guess work.....

On another forum a member suggested that speedo jumping around may send a bad signal to the EEC eventually causing a soft code and trans limp mode....and mine hops all over the place above 55 MPH??

The big wheel in the rear end that the speed sensor reads must have a tooth or two missing and I guess that is causing the speedo hop??

I may just go ahead and put a relay on the power to the EEC and shut it down every time the ignition is off....thus "re-setting" it everytime I start it up!!

Cobrajack

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
The reason for most speedo bounce is a bad speedo cable or head but weith an electronic digital speedometer I don't think there is a cable
Paul

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Are there teeth missing on the gear or is it just a dirty pick-up? Is it getting too close to the plug wires and picking up extra signals from the HV pulses?
Paul

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
News Flash!!!!

I spoke with the Ford truck "expert" at my dealership and he told me the following regarding mid 90's F-series trucks.....

The signal from the speed sensor in the rear end is fed directly to the speedometer and on to the EEC from the speedo!! Just lately they have had 3 come in with jumpy speedos and the same limp mode from the transmission......

He says the jumping speedo sends a bad signal to the EEC and eventually it will shut things off and put the trans in limp mode.....The fix has been new gauge clusters or in one case rebuilding one from 94 that was out of stock!!??

He also said that sometimes the TPS may cause the problem so I ordered one of them first and maybe the gauge cluster which is available and retails for $348.71......not bad if I knew for sure it would fix it??

Stay tuned.....I'm gonna figger it out!!

Cobrajack

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
It is proven true again!
To err is human but to reall mess things up it take a computer!

Thanks for the update - let us know if the TPS works, and failing that if the new cluster works.
Paul

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I hope that works for you. those things are not cheap.
paul

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Paul,

My dealer says they retail for about $348.00 and he will get one for me for around $265.00??

I went on a used parts safari on the internet and found dozens of them scattered all across the country from $75.00-$288.00 and ordered one from Mobile, AL yard for $82.00 shipped that has a 60 day warranty??!!

Should have it the first of next week and I guess if the speedo quits bouncing it is OK......Time will tell??

Thanks for sticking with me on this adventure!!

Cobrajack

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
WHAT NEXT!!!???

I put the new speedo in.....15 minute job and started the truck...all seemed fine until....SMOKE WAS BOILING OUT OF THE O/D BUTTON ON THE GEAR SHIFT!!!!!

I stopped and watched it for a moment and it stopped as did the gauges and the O/D!!!

Got back home and I had blown the fuse for the O/D....Gauges....etc.....30 amps....POOF!!!???

Called my parts guy and he said they have replaced a bunch of shifters due to shorts like I mentioned.....not related to the speedo but still scarey!!!

I'll take it back apart tomorrow and attempt to find the short!!

Stay Tuned....THE SAGA CONTINUES!!!!

Cobrajack

1 - 20 of 34 Posts