Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
If they have replaced a bunch of them I would ask for them to fix it for free. This is a fire hazard that could result in the recall of thousands of vehicles. Let them know that you are considering writing a letter to Ford, the BBB and State attorney general's office. Since these trucks are having both problems they should repair both problems at no cost. Do they want those letters to be nasty or nice?
It might work.
Paul

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The small wires from the O/D button run under the shifter shaft and chafe from it turning and rubbing them......which by the way are in a piece of shrink tube at that point!!

From the plug on the left side of the column to the switch at the end of the shifter the wires were melted into one!!!

I was able to remove the switch....run new wires but must not have identified them correctly since the O/D button lights when the Ignition is turned on and O/D is OFF!!!???
Pull the switch out and restart and O/D is ON without the switch??

Is there a downstream solenoid or relay I may have toasted too??

I can run it without the option of turning to O/D OFF but would like to have the option if I need it!!

I'll call my dealer tomorrow and see where I go from here??

Cobrajack

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
New shifter install took about 15 minutes.....I'm getting too good at this!!??

Everything is finally working like it should.....now time will tell if the EEC puts the trans in "Limp" mode....Stay Tuned!!

Cobrajack

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cobrajack on 2/28/07 5:59am ]</font>

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I am proud of you! your tenacity is amazing! You stuck to getting this problem fixed and I know that it will pay off for you.
Happy motoring!
Paul

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well.............THE #%@!*&%#@$ THING did the HARD shifting again today!!!

I disconnected the battery 30 seconds and it's back to normal!!??

Can I just put a relay on the power or ground side of the EEC so it resets EVERY time the ignition is turned off??

This is getting OLD!!

Cobrajack

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Anyone have a wiring diagram for the EEC??

I will put a relay in the ground wire (if it's not grounded by the case) and "Reset" the EEC every time I shut it off!!

If it is grounded to the case can I put the relay on the EEC power wire or will it ZAP the EEC???

Help Again!!

Cobrajack

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Removing the power from the EEC is not the best fix but after all that you have gone through I would do it in a minute. - If you use a relay - and that is a great idea - set it up on a switch on your main accesory supply wire too. That way you can't power anything in the car before you power the EEC. I would be concerned about back feeding through the EEC if you just take the power away from the unit itself. Remember that you have a number of sensors and devices that are powered separatly from the EEC but feed it with signals that might cause problems if it is not powered up first.
I don't have any knowledge here as I am an old school mechanic but I have a background in Electronics through the electronic drive controls on industrial trucks.
Paul

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yeah Paul,

I got the same from my dealer's tech and was advised not to turn the EEC off with a relay!!

He did say that the module in the speedometer cluster might reset by pulling fuses and pointed out which to try if it happens again......otherwise I'll just disconnect the battery from here on!!

Thanks for all your help and sticking with me during this adventure!!

Cobrajack

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I just wish I could have been more help.
I just never got into the EEC systems beyond the problems that I had with it in my 87 Bronco. Now the youngest car I own is a 73 Maverick. I plan on keeping it that way!

I am going to try to learn something about the newer 4 and 5 speed Ford trannys so I can compete with the next generation of hotrodders in that theater but I will leave the engine controllers where they interface with the tranny.
Paul

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Well, that is good news - unless you are not driving it because you are afraid it is going to act up again. Just admit that you fixed it and drive it!
Besides if it breaks again you can have the opportunity to replace it with a C4! ( I know - but it is one of my prejudices and I have so few)
Paul

21 - 34 of 34 Posts