Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just talked to an engine builder that claims he has build many clevelands. I told him I wanted to go with trw flat tops and I wanted 400+ horsepower. He told me that unless I was using race gas I should go with 9.5 to 1 and that the extra point of comression wouldn;t give me that much. He also suggested a 2000 stal converter to go with my 4.10 gears. And on the cam he said like 230-240 duration with .560+ lift. and a 750 cfm holley. Is this going to give me the 400-450 hp street beast motor I want or is her blowing smoke up my ass? Thanks

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
2v or 4v heads? Quench or open heads? If 4v heads, gonna want a higher stall. Maybe a cam that is a little bigger...post some more

Jeff Given

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
You have "Quench" heads as I recall ... maybe he has been building with "Open Chamber" heads.

Your 4V quench heads will go to 11:1 on pump premium ... and if you hook a 2,000 stall to it ... it will be a "Royal Pig".

Sounds like your machine shop guy doesn't have a clue about quench 4V heads

My guess is, anything you (we) try to tell this guy is just going to piss him off ... After all, HE is an "Engine Builder".

I'd drop this guy like the plague.

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 5/15/02 5:52am ]</font>

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes I do have quench heads. He was telling me that 9.5 was the highest he would go with premium fuel. Well that is about what I have now so then why rebuild it. I wanted more, I think atleast 10 to 1 but more like 10.5 to 1 to be safe I think 11 to 1 is too close. But what cam should I get for a nice lopy idle and a good street strip motor? What other mods do I need, I know ss valves but what about roller rockers, or the oil restrictors? Thanks I really appreciate all your help.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Can't Closed Chamber heads can handle more compression using pump gas because of the way combustion takes place in them?

And I'd say you can definitely make the power you want. I am looking for about the same power numbers 400+, but with the 2V CC heads. I plan on using a 278/290 cam, that'll be a good lope... I think a bigger cam would extract the power you want.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
If he was building a SBC with iron heads ... 9.5 s about it ... your not working with a SBC ... You can run your quench heads with flat top pistons and run just dandy on pump premium.

As far as cam goes ... If you go roller you can go more aggressive and still be very street friendly. I'm running a mechanical roller.

You can check my build from my home page for an example ... it's all there part #, cost, source, everything ... once you get to second page links to the two narratives and parts list are there.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey monstermach do you ever go to hot august nights? I am going this years and if so we should meet somewhere so I can check out your car... and thanks for all your help, I apprecaite it

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
On 2002-05-14 23:03, MonsterMach wrote:
Nope ... never been there ... YET.

It's about an eight hour drive from here

Maybe this year
6.5 tops! my best is 5.5hrs. Average 80, and you'll do fine, HP wont even bug ya (if you even see one) 8 hrs is for old ladies and bowties....

·
Registered
749 Posts
MonsterMach:

Wow, just checked out your site, great pics and straight foward raw honest write ups on your stuff. Even grabbed the pic of the heads with the studs and guideplates...you dont see those 4V quench heads like that every day
Its tuff sometimes to find people that understand Ford engine families and there required approaches to building them. Thats one great thing about this site.
Some REAL ford guys on here sharing REAL tips for ford engines.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Thanks Guys

As I say in the narratives ... I'm no expert. I only know what I picked up as I (we) built this motor.

My goal was to learn enough to be able to make the desisions that needed to be made about the build. I can tell you this for sure ... the engine is still running just great ... and all of the things I did on the build, I did because they made sense to me.

Some of the things I did are normal run of the mill stuff, some of it is a little out of the ordinary. In either case ... it's all documented ... what I did and why I did it

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 5/15/02 10:46pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 5/15/02 10:48pm ]</font>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts