Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up 2 windsors and a complete 86 5.0 with a transmission for $240. I'm just curious about what year the 351s are. I am a high school student and just thought they might be fun projects to rebuild. Here's what I could find on the 2 351s.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The one starting with E4 is a 1984 block, and the D9 block is 1979. Ford uses letters & numbers for dates- C=1960's, D=1970's, E=1980's, etc.

·
Registered
567 Posts
From your pictures the E4 block was cast in '75 and the D9 was cast in '72. Block casting numbers do not change every year but the casting date changes to the day they are cast every time. The casting number ONLY changes when the block has something changes on it. F4 was the change to "roller cam" capability.

·
Registered
567 Posts
SORRY , I meant E4 was cast in 85 not 75 MY mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
567 Posts
badcatt you are right! Man I was having a bad day LOL A D9 with a 2 as the first number on the casting date would be cast in "82" , not "72" like I posted. My error , thanks for correcting me. I'm gonna go stand in the corner wearing the "dunce" hat.

·
Registered
567 Posts
It actually IS possible to have a block / heads /intake cast before the year indicated on the casting itself. This occurs when "next years" parts are cast from Sept to Dec and there was a design change made causing the casting number to change. Three years is obviously NOT possible , my bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
GT350HR, You are correct about that on casting for the first part of the production year. I had a couple 351W cast in later 1968 with C9 casting numbers. And recently sold a 351C 4V top end cast in September 69 with D0 casting numbers. Ford numbers can be fun to fallow. The way they did the casting numbers on the FE engine line is not any fun when trying to ID a block. Is that a 360, 390 or a 428???? All can have the same casting number on them, or no casting number.

·
Registered
567 Posts
That's why the foundry workers used "scratched" letters in the bell housing area for 428 blocks.Other odd things like using the 427 rear bulkhead casting on 390s and 428s

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's why the foundry workers used "scratched" letters in the bell housing area for 428 blocks.Other odd things like using the 427 rear bulkhead casting on 390s and 428s
Early 428 got a letter "A" and later with cast in reinforcements got a "C". That block is what 428CJs were built with. But was the same in a station wagon or Police car. I took a leap of faith when I bought a F250 that had a 70 428 PI in it. I needed a 70 428 block for my CJ Cougar. It turned out to be one. But not being able to see the back of the block had me concerned as to what I spent my money on. Turned out to be a good deal.
Unlike most other Ford engines, the FE can be hard to ID from the out side of the block. Measuring stroke can help, but can still leave one wondering what they will find when they open it up.

·
Registered
567 Posts
A 428 block is easy to ID "IF" a head is off. "One" water passage is different on them . You are right , if the engine is together ID is difficult at best.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The 1986 5.0 is a real dud one year only for Ford the E6 heads are very poor flow at higher RPM's the original pistons are flat without valve reliefs so a higher lift cam is a no-no in these, but as a builder core many of these were roller cam blocks but some of these like found in trucks still had standard hydraulic lifter camshafts. So if your block has the bolt provisions for the roller cam "Spider" then you can do the roller updates.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts