Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys can anyone with handons experience help me out with assembly of my new engine? I've just gotten the block back from the engine builder[(boiled out and bored)but not finish honed]. I'm trying to trial fit everything and need help as to where I'm going to need to notch the block for the rods and crank.
The crank turns fine other than the #1 counter weight getting really close to where the Oilpump bolts up to the block to. Anyways any help would be greatly appreacited.

Gregg

·
Registered
407 Posts
Gregg,You will need to assemble the crank into the block and one cyl at a time put the piston and rod assembly on, SLOWLY rotate the crank to find any interference points between the rod and the lower cyl wall, with a Sharpie, mark the interference point, disassemble the rod and remove the piston rod assembly,REPETE for all cylinders, also mark the oil pump area. Disassemble the whole thing, grind the areas try to estimate the amount of clearance you will need while grinding, use a burr then finish up with a medium cartridge roll, Wash the block thoroughly, clean enough to eat out of!, then reassemble and check to see that you have .125 minium clearance everywhere, repete until perfect. Wash everything after any grinding or you will be buying new bearings and paying the machine shop for crankshaft work! Plan on 4 hours or so for this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts