Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
93 Mustang Gt 5.0 V8. Ok here how would I go about looking for a short if it is a short. There are times I go to start my car lights come on then turn the key nothing. I am able to touch the starter solinoid with a screwdriver then the car will start. If I leave the car sitting for a couple days the battery will be dead. Is all this intertwind. Please any help will be appreciated!!! Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
sounds like you've got a bad ignition switch. Not working the starter circuit, and possibly leaving accessory circuits powered to kill the battery.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Finding the drain in your electrical is a very complicated thing.
Some mechanics will locate it in a matter of moments, 99% of the others will take a lot longer...

Electrical issues are a horrible way to start a week...
I do believe your situation to be slightly less difficult.

Check that ignition switch for sure! if the problem persists...

Issue: Occasional no crank with key, must use screwdriver.

Fix: Clean The contacts on the ground, the power and, all the leads going to the soleonoid and starter.

Your dead battery after a couple day's issue might be more of a non charging battery while driving issue.

See if that helps you. I'm sure it will improve something.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FALCONAROUND on 1/12/07 11:32pm ]</font>

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Sounds like possibly two issues - one, clean all your battery cable connections, especially the negative cable, including where they bolt to the block or solenoid. There should be an engine to body ground strap - make sure it's there and clean it's mounts. The battery dead in a couple of days can be either that it's time is over or you have an electrical drain. You can hook an current meter between the battery and the positive cable - if it shows a load of anything significant (clock, radio, computer all draw a tiny bit of power), start pulling fuses until you find the circuit that has the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts