Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i got a big problem
i have a automatic 67 fairlane that wont start when i turn the key it just indicates that its "hot"
the story is i drove home from a friends house, parked it, next day i went to start it and nothing happens,no noise, absolutely nothing
it used to have a column shifter but there's a aftermarket b&m floor shifter
i suspect it might be the neutral safety and if i could bypass it or something that might do it but iam a grease monkey not an electrician
any help would be very appreciated

·
Registered
847 Posts
This has happened to mine lots of times easy fix. It was the micro swith on the B&M shifter. its located under the cover on the shifter. Mine had a wire that kept falling off I just crimped it and has been fine since. undo the 4 screws below the handle and you should be able too see it .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i tried these suggestions and i even replaced and moved the neutral safety to the floor shifter
its still "hot"
now that i think about it my friend hooked my stereo up to play without the key in the ignition but it ran fine after that....maybe that did it but i doubt it
battery has full juice......perhaps my car is just a piece of crap

thanks for the help though

·
Registered
847 Posts
Try turning the key on and jumping the starter solinoid. Take bettery power to the trigger and see if it cranks. Dont run yourself over if its a standard. Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i tried that and the engine cranks over
must be the wiring disconnected somewhere between the ignition and solenoid
problem is, i cant find it
i think i might need a new ignition switch
additional help is very appreciated

·
Registered
847 Posts
So if you used the small post to power and it cranks. We can assume there is no trigger getting to the solinoid. It wouldnt hurt to check with a test light. All thats left is the ignition switch wiring and Neutral saftey switch. On my car it had some wires heading down to the trans orginaly I think it had a conecter near the wiper motor. this is where I cut the wires and fed it inside the car for my B&M shifter to the neutral saftey micro switches. One micro was for rev and one for starting if I remember correct. When you said you checked them did you check the one for Neutral? also trace those wires back . (sorry I dont have a wiring diag handy to give better info) but I really think this is a problem with the neutral saftey system. If you can find a wiring diag trace those wires and jump them together see if it starts. check for that conection under the hood and where it goes back inside look for green wires or a bad connecter broken wires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts