Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a 93 Windsor in a full size Bronco. Somebody suggested fuel filter4 so I got a new fuel filter today but I haven't yet figured out how to get the dang lines loose to put the new one on. Somebody also suggested that my converters(2 on 1 exhaust pipe no less) might be clogged. How can you tell if they are? I thought it might be related to some newly formulated dog water gas because I usually run 87 but it should run ok on that I would think. I tried some 93 and it helped only slightly. My fuel mileage has dropped off and it slows way down pulling up hills. All my gauges look ok although my battery might be getting a bit old. I have a new one I can put on and try. Any other obvious ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
As for the filter, they sell tools to remove those canister filters with the little 'one way' barbed clamps. Go to a parts store and they will know exactly what you are talking about. I bought a little 'rack' of split nylon things that slip over the line and slide under those 'barbs'. This allows the lines to be pulled off.

As for the exhaust... It's probably about time for some more freely flowing tubes, anyway.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well you don't say if this happened all of a sudden or gradaully,but I would say think about a new exhaust and maybe try a new air filter it cann't hurt.You haven't added any new larger tires or anything like that have you?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 91 Bronco with a 351W EFI and had the same thing happen on a cross country trip. I got some bad gas in Wyoming,(water in the gas). It finally stopped running in the middle of a construction zone where the freeway was down to two lanes. Your symptoms sound identical to what happened to mine.
Change the filter and put a couple of bottles of gas dryer in your tank. Put in a couple of gallons of gas and drive it. If it doesn't improve after 50 or so miles, you may have to look at the injectors.
The grade of gas won't make any difference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had this same problem on a lighting,the tube from the TP to the airfilter would collapse under a load and the thing would nose over real bad. Changed it out and it ran better than new,must have been bad from day one and just got worse.I was told everything from fuel to the trans was bad.If it's not mass air, pull it off and take it for a spin.Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$8 fuel filter and $9 worth of plastic junk I don't need to get the one little plastic gadget worth about $.50 to put it on with. Go figure. In my opinion they should put the little plastic thing in the fuel filter package so you can actually install it. In fact I'm going to email them and suggest it.

The fuel filter helped a whole bunch. It cranks easier, runs a lot better and pulls like it has 20 more horses. I blew out the old fuel filter and something resembling black swamp water came out, LOL.

I think something is still holding it back a little. Does the computer have some sort of learn and remember that would make it run like this? I've heard of having to unplug the battery for some amount of time to reset flash eprom or something on the 5.0 mustangs.

I am still suspecting the twin converters are somewhat clogged maybe. When I get it up around 3000 rpms the exhaust gets a sizzling or hissing sort of noise to it and I know my muffler and tail pipe is good and there are no leaks in the system. Its hissing out the tail pipe.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey my truck use to make a similar sound it was kInd of a whine when I steped on it and it went away with my new exhaust. The guy cut off one converter and put 3" pipe from there back sounds good now.1986 F150 4X4 with 302 EFI

·
Registered
15 Posts
The computer does retain memory until you disconnect the battery for 10 minutes. The service manual tells you to drive it at around 50 mph for 10 or more miles (if I remember correctly). This allows the computer to re-load the eprom. If you are going to do this, check your O2 sensor. You may need to replace it if you were burning crap. Replace it before you retrain the computer.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
That hissing (wheezing) sound is a sure sign the exhaust is restricted. It could be the converters, it could be the muffler. Sometimes a piece of the converter will break off and lodge itself in the somewhere (anywhere) exhaust system and create that problem.

Well, it's probably time to treat the ole' beast to some new tubes, anyhow.

Someone mentioned the air filter, that would also be high on the list... especially after the exhaust system gets taken care of.

BTW... When was the last time you gave that thing a tune-up, anyway?

Good Luck!
http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/healey/367

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: n2omike on 4/19/02 3:00am ]</font>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts