Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as much as i like my 390, I was wondering what would be eaisier. 550-600 hp 351w stroker or 550-600hp 390Fe?
say "unlimited budget" for fun. Would it be eaiser to build a 351w with a blower? Or a nasty 390?w/blower? No Nitro, must be DAILY DRIVER 92 octane friendly hahahaha. Is it possible?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
naturally aspired?

i dont know alot about this but from what i have learnt i would say the fe. "Theres no replacement for displacement". that being said, a large fe (428 ?) stroked, nice big heads, headers, highrise single plain, blower, 2 4's and dont forget a lumpy cam. my experience with my dads 440 in the 67 dart and what little mods we have done to it should mean a higley modifyed 428 should make gobs of hp.

but what do i know?
im siting in my spare as i wright this.

Ed Guy

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
You can do either one on motor and have it be pump gas friendly. No blower is needed. I'd contact Keith Craft Racing or check out the site at www.keithcraft.com. This shop does some really incredible stuff with FE's and also builds some great 351w strokers. Heard several people on this board say great stuff about them.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
the 351 stroker would be easear and probibly less expensive. But a 390 would be wayyyyyy cooler. If it were mine I would find some nice iron heads (cobra jet) mildly port them, throw in some forged pistons and top it off with a 6-71 blower. That will make lots of power. If not that look through this site and they built up a 390 that made lots of power.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Even with an "unlimited budget", you'll go broke before you're 75% done with an FE!!
The Windsor would be cheaper and there are better parts available from the aftermarket. A stroker kit with good aluminum heads will get you into the 600 HP zone in no time.
With the FE, you'll be paying outrageous prices for 35+ year old parts, then you'll need to fortify it with aftermarket parts too!

·
Registered
368 Posts
You can now build FE motors without even using an original Ford part! On a 390 build all you would need to use is the original block. But 351W are likely cheaper to build.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts