Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
confused....... #5, the washer looking thrust, thats connected to the input shell. In the roller thread it states you should remove and cut outer diameter to 2.9'', why? I don't think it would hurt anything to leave it at the 3.4''.

next, it says to cut the recess .045''-.050'' deep in the front of the rear planetary, when all the other cuts should be .075''-.080''. the stock thrust washers I have measured are .060'', so you cut .080'' off to equal the .140'' thick bearing. If you didn't cut .080'' off the front of the rear planetary it would space the input shell farther away from the rear planetary. What am I missing here?

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
It is stated to cut the washer to 2.110" ..I don't do it this way.I leave the washer alone and cut the front face of the planet .Just measure the thrust washer you take out and subtract that from the bearing thickness .You will come up with the 075-080" same as the others as you know.

Now what you can do if you had a lot of endfloat on when you pulled your trans down you can leave a little extra here to save quite so much shim to get the end float correct.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts