Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s new top time!

My ‘65 came with a stained and torn old top installed but it didn’t have the pads that run longitudinally on each side. That probably helps explain why the top was torn.

On some cars I’ve done these pads are stapled in to the second and third top bows, in addition to the front and rear bows.

I can’t tell if that should be the case with my Galaxie. It doesn’t look like there is much room for tack strip there but I want to be sure. Tops take a lot of time to install so I want to get it right the first time.

Does anyone have a convertible they can use for reference, or maybe a manual/diagram? It should be the same for ‘65-‘68. I have the factory service manual and the parts manual but I haven’t found what I need to know.

I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks!

- John

·
Super Moderator
21,604 Posts
I would think it would be the same as my '64 and believe a mustang also is same basically as my car of the roughly same year. Here's a video that you can see the pads here and there during the vid. Looks bout same as my '64. This is a '66.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would think it would be the same as my '64 and believe a mustang also is same basically as my car of the roughly same year. Here's a video that you can see the pads here and there during the vid. Looks bout same as my '64. This is a '66.
Thanks ShotRod!!

That video is a huge help. I saw what I needed to see on the pads. As it turns out, just yesterday I cut and glued some tack strips on the second and third bows - exactly what I saw on his car today. I love it when a plan comes together.

I also saw some other helpful info in that video. Great stuff! I will try to contact him and return the favor by offering some tips that I learned on the top frame and tacking strips.

Thanks again for finding that video!

- John

·
Super Moderator
21,604 Posts
gearheadct Glad it was some help. I bought the "How to restore your classic car" book just because it had a full section on how to put a new top on the car AND it was a '64 galaxie they were using. Now, I can't decide if I even want a new top because I never have the top up, I just hate have the roof over my head. I might have what i use as a top, up once a year if that. But who knows, I still might change my mind one day. Have had the top and rear window since 2001, it'll be rotten by the time i think i might put it on!:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts