Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I just installed hooker competition headers (6921hkr) on my '71 Torino Brougham. 351 Cleveland 2v heads. When I went to hook the power steering ram back up to the frame the headers were in the way. I called Hooker and they said I needed a drop bracket to finish the installation. I purchased said bracket and replaced my stock bracket but the header is still in the way for the ram to reattach. The bracket would need to drop at least another inch. Anyone else run into this problem? Any solutions? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
346 Posts
That's strange. I've installed several of those set-ups with the extra clearance bracket for long tube headers and have always worked out just fine. I've never used Hooker headers though. I'd call them back for advice.

Not sure, but if you drop the ram frame mount too much, your steering geometry might get messed up by pulling it down and over.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
I can't say on that specific combination. Though perhaps not the primary issue - check your engine mounts for bulging, rubber shear, or micro-cracking, indicating settling. A small amount of rubber squish or shear can cause a surprising amount of engine drop. Also, it's possible a PO installed the lower-setting "Convertible/GT" mounts. If necessary, try to view and measure a fresh correct mount at the parts store to compare.

David

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I've heard that lowering the bracket causes a lot more frame stress as well. The engine mounts do have some cracking. I'll try replacing them and see if that gives me the clearance I need. I've also read that some people have shimmed the mounts to raise the engine more.
Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I would absolutely call Hooker first. If you can, post some pics. Some guys will weld the ram bracket to the chassis. I think a few tack welds can't hurt, but a full bead would make it a lot of work to remove.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The instructions that came with the drop bracket even suggest tack welding it. I'll definitely give hooker a call back but the engine mounts could use replacing anyway so I might as well do that while I'm down there. Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it. I'm pretty new to this stuff. Learning as I go.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Tom, I guess it is always possible that hooker threw in a set for manual steering, and the wrong headers are in the box. I would call them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts