Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

First i decode my 7Litre. Everything was Fine.
Use a Dennis Carpenter Catalogue

Now i try to decode my 66 GalaxieXL Fastback
but no book reads "Z" Code, or "D" trans, no "1" Axle.

Who can explain it to me?

VIN: 6J68Z14xxxx

Body: 63C
Color: M
Trim: 85
Date: 25B
DSO: 72
Axle: 1
Trans: D

Tanks
Joe

·
Administrator
21,678 Posts
Here's what i got, except the Transmission code.

Body: 63C = Galaxie 500/XL 2-door hardtop, bucket seats

Color: M = Wimbledon White (white)

Trim: 85 = red "Crinkle" vinyl and red "Rosette" pattern vinyl

Date: 25B February 25 1966 (scheduled build date

DSO: 72 = District Sales Office San Jose, California which covered Northern California, Southern Oregon, Western Nevada and Hawaii

Axle: 1 = 3.00:1 non-locking

Trans: D = The trans code is a number not letter far as i have ever seen, might want to double check it.

VIN
VIN: 6J68Z14xxxx

Assembly plant J Los Angeles

Body code 68 Galaxie 500/XL 2-door hardtop, bucket seats

Engine Code Z 390-4V Thunderbird Special V-8, 315 hp @ 4600 rpm, 427 ft-lbs @ 2800 rpm, 10.5:1 compression ratio

The last numbers of the vin after the Z are the consecutive unit number

Trans Codes
1 Toploader 3-speed manual, column shift
2 Toploader 3-speed manual with overdrive, column shift
5 Toploader 4-speed manual, floor or console shift
4 C6 Cruise-O-Matic 3-speed automatic, column or console shift
6 C4 Cruise-O-Matic 3-speed automatic, column or console shift
7 FX Cruise-O-Matic 3-speed automatic, column or console shift
8 MX Cruise-O-Matic 3-speed automatic, column or console shift

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
[email protected]

the curios thing is, Trans is a "D"
Its a automatic, maybe a C6?

Next thing is, both Galaxie i own read Trim 85,
Should be: Red Vinyl with Red Rosetta,
but both have BLACK Rosetta in it.
Also the red seams different.

And both cars are unrestored survivors.

Thanks
Joe

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Administrator
21,678 Posts
Guess there are exceptions to the rule then!! Someone might have an answer for this but in the mean time i'm going to forward this to Tom Y that does the '66 registry, he might have thoughts on it as the '66 is "his" car. :)

I'll let you know what i find out and in the mean time someone else might have an idea.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guess there are exceptions to the rule then!! Someone might have an answer for this but in the mean time i'm going to forward this to Tom Y that does the '66 registry, he might have thoughts on it as the '66 is "his" car. :)

I'll let you know what i find out and in the mean time someone else might have an idea.
i try to contact him yesterday but get all Emails with errors back?
maybe he is out of business?

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

*[email protected]

·
Administrator
21,678 Posts
If i remember right he was having issues with it last time i talked to him, evidently he hasn't gotten it fixed. Don't think he keeps up on the website as much as he did in the beginning but he still gathers info on the cars. I emailed him but not through the website. I've known him several years. He might find yours interesting with the dif trans code and interior. There were optional rearends in some but still didn't find any info on one with a D code.

·
Administrator
21,678 Posts
I haven't heard back from Tom Y yet. Still searching around for that "D" code on the trans. Only thing i can find a letter code on is the axle for locking 3.25 so far. Trans codes i found some letters but way down the alphabet like W,X,Y. Just wanted to let you know i was still on it. Let me know if you find an answer yourself. :) I also posted in a couple other ford forums, maybe find an answer from someone there also.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't heard back from Tom Y yet. Still searching around for that "D" code on the trans. Only thing i can find a letter code on is the axle for locking 3.25 so far. Trans codes i found some letters but way down the alphabet like W,X,Y. Just wanted to let you know i was still on it. Let me know if you find an answer yourself. :) I also posted in a couple other ford forums, maybe find an answer from someone there also.
Thanks for your Support.

Maybe its the One and only Dalaxie ;-)

Joe

·
Administrator
21,678 Posts
Joe, i heard back from Tom Y. I reemailed and found he replied before but somewhere it got lost in cyberspace. He'd like more info on the cars. I'll PM you about it. But here is what he said about another car.

This one wouldn't happen to be the same car would it?

Hi Deb,
In May 2012, I registered an ebay auction out of Morgan Hill, CA. I also captured pictures (no dataplate) of this ebay car and it definitely has an Aqua inter (code 87) and see no signs of "upgraded T-Bird trim"
This is the sellers description from that auction.

VIN # 6J68Z147520. VIN # Coding 63C-M-87-24B-72-1-D. Car is in totally original condition with Upgraded interior T-Bird trim. Owned and purchased new by my Great Uncle and passed down to my Father. Engine is a 390 V8 3-Speed Automatic. This car has always been a California car. Some rust on back bumper and in trunk area/back wheel wells. Small tear in driver front seat.

The "D" code for the Trans is unusual but seemingly possible.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This one wouldn't happen to be the same car would it?

Sorry for late reply.
No, its not the same car.

But mine is also San Jose build, 3.00 non locking Axle and the mysterious "D"
Thanks
Joe

·
Administrator
21,678 Posts
Hey Joe, here's the last reply from Tom Y. It seems there are just a handful of these "D" code cars and all built in CA. I thought maybe they ran out of the regular trans but that wouldn't seem right with the different interior also. So another Ford mystery out there it seems.

Deb,
thank you for following up on this email thread. I now think there are 2 different cars. The one I already have 6J68Z147520 and Joe's: 6J68Z147905.
the vin CUN sequences tied to the date codes (24B and 25B respectively). Also the Trim codes compared to the photos are in line even though Joe's red interior has the black inserts, which could be a repair.

With the VIN Joe provided, I now have 3 cars with the "D" trans code. All built in LA, all in the month of February and all XL hardtops with the 390 (1-2barrel and 2-4barrel). I have searched 65,66,67 Mercury, Lincoln and Ford decode info and none have the "D" trans codes. I, along with Vince from the 7-litre site are at a loss as I believe he also has seen a "D" listed for a '66 7-LITRE.

Please thank Joe for sharing.

The best Ford, to you.

Tom Yanulaytis
Manager
1966 Ford Full-Size Registry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts