Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a newer 302 in my mustang and hooked everything up, and it cranks, but won't start. I know the engine's getting fuel, and the carb ran fine before, so I think it's either the timing or the valve lash (valves aren't opening all the way). What's the best way to check these things? Also, is there anything else I'm missing? Anything would really help. Thnaks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are you getting spark? check power to your coil. Did you set the valves? even if there opening a liitle bit it should fire. start with spark then try your valves. Even if your timing is 180 degrees out you should hear it firing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
also valve could be to tight , that will leave them open and their will be no compresson , you can tell by if their is no rpm rise and drop when the engine is spining over , itll kind of just spin free'ly. Check make sure you are getting spark and timing . also , tip if it has sat for along time and it is spinning freely before you adjust the valve again , squirt some trans fluid in each cylinder , that will seal the piston rings and help it get compression. It works really well but it'll smoke for a little while dont worry that just means it lubed good , i do that on nearly any new engine. The cylinder are so dry , just dont get caried away alittle will do it.

lowside

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I think I'm going to check the valves tonight. I know I'm getting spark now. Could it be that I tightened the valves with the lifters collapsed, and so when they pump up, the valves are always open? I'll try to redo the settings. BTW, when you guys first crank over an engine, do you usually set the #1 plug to fire at TDC, or a little before?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
#1 at about 10* BTDC, just like you would normally.Bring #1 to its compression stroke, turn the motor be hand until the timing marker lines up with 10* BTDC, line the rotor up with the #1 spark plug wire. that'll get it close enough to start.

I tightened the valves too tight on a SBC once. Took me forever to figure out why it wouldnt start. Its always the last thing you messed with

1 - 5 of 5 Posts