Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed it I get reverse and 1st, manual shift to 2nd but when I try to go to drive at low speed it seems to try to go back to first and at high rpms it seems like neutral?

I bought this as a used but rebuilt trans with TCI Super Pro rebuild kit. It showed no signs of fluid ever being in it. Its my belief it was built over a year ago.

I went out and adjusted the linkage while it was in drive and was going to take it for a test drive. Made it to the end of the drive (1/4 mile) and theres smoke from underneath. Pull it back in the garage and the fluid seems to be coming from somewhere on the drivers side. Places it looks like its not coming from, shift arm, reverse servo, Overflow vent, tail shaft. I laid under it while my son went thru the gears and could not determine anything.

I am thinking it leaks while moving only? What are the chances of it squirting from around the speedo?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 65whiteFastback on 8/19/06 8:53am ]</font>

·
Registered
945 Posts
It sounds like the direct clutch has a problem but it also operates in reverse....which is working?
The first thing I would surgest you try is shifter linkage adjustment...they are fussy and its critical it is set correctly.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Try getting it good and warm, manually going thru the gears.
could be grease was used in valve body and has a ball stuck.

·
Registered
945 Posts
If you are sure it not coming from those other points, the only thing left on the lhs is the speedo drive hole..... O-ring missing perhaps.
I assume that the VB is not reverse style? Meaning P R N 1 2 3 instead of P R N 3 2 1 ??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts