Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im currently the owner of a 1965 ford falcon I want to put a 289 or a 302 in it because the IL 6 isnt doing it for me my question is what all would i have to do to my car to make it work keep in mind my car was built on the same chasi as a 65 mustang

·
Registered
238 Posts
alot! but not too much. possible, but why would you?
remove under engine brace
install mounts
trans mount
trans
driveshaft
4 lug to 5 lug suspension upgrade, unless 5 lugs came in mid year falcons?
i cant remember off the top of my head

i6 steering/ suspension can still be used with an 8 as it sits farther back in the engine bay.

if you keep the i6 suspension and differential drive nice'n easy.

But dude, c'mon, keep the 6 in there and buy a falcon with an 8 already in it. save yourself the trouble.

what do you got in there already? 177?

i'll tell you this, i wish my falcon came with its original i6.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
As was said below you'll have a lot of work to do but it's not rocket science. Front suspension, brakes, motor mounts, trans and mounts and a better rearend. Most any rear will work such as the 8", 9" or newer 8.8" but make sure it's the correct width or you'll spends lots more cutting it down, etc.

I originally had a '64 with a six with plans just like yours and like Leo76LTD mentioned, I decided it would be much easier to find a V8 car. I bought the '65 that I have now and sold the '64 for a slight profit and used that cash on other parts that I wanted. In the end it was the right choice for me but your situation might be different.

With that said, I have to admit that almost the entire drivetrain as since be replaced so other than the front suspension and the other basic hard parts (mounts, trans case, rear springs, etc.) it's all new anyways. But that did make it easier for me.

It'll be a fun project and the parts you'll need are out there, you'll just have to search around for them. As for the swap itself I'd go with the later 5.0 (302 ci) since they have roller cams in them. The C4 auto was my choice and since it came in the car I used it. Factory option, so mounts etc. are available, easy to build up to handle anything you can throw at it and fairly cheap too.

If you're not going wild on the build you can use the 8" rearend from several cars like the Mustang, Falcon and maybe the Maverick/Comet too. Just make sure it's the width you need. Even a half inch or more will make tire fitament an issue - I know.

Have fun and let's see some photos!

John

·
Registered
734 Posts
couple things:
* what transmission is under it. 2speed auto. early fords had less bolts on the bell housing. if so ask for details. this will determan what 289 u can get, no 302 unless u change the bell housing
* 302s i think are luggy. i do love em though if they have been updated. and if u go 302 go fuel injection. they are the 260s and 289s bigger dumber brother HA!
*go 289 i say. i own 3 and each are award winners! 1 built and the other 2 stock(never rebult) they are just little work horses.

remember this, carol Shelby's Cobra's won most of his races with a 289 ;)

ive always wanted to rebuild and buff up a i6. lol to see what it can do, they have a lot of torque u know ;)

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
couple things:
* what transmission is under it. 2speed auto. early fords had less bolts on the bell housing. if so ask for details. this will determan what 289 u can get, no 302 unless u change the bell housing
* 302s i think are luggy. i do love em though if they have been updated. and if u go 302 go fuel injection. they are the 260s and 289s bigger dumber brother HA!
*go 289 i say. i own 3 and each are award winners! 1 built and the other 2 stock(never rebult) they are just little work horses.

remember this, carol Shelby's Cobra's won most of his races with a 289 ;)

ive always wanted to rebuild and buff up a i6. lol to see what it can do, they have a lot of torque u know ;)

My next motor build (years away probably) will be a high-winding turbo 289. I have a 302 in my '67, but there's something about the 289 that makes me all tingly.

·
Registered
734 Posts
My next motor build (years away probably) will be a high-winding turbo 289. I have a 302 in my '67, but there's something about the 289 that makes me all tingly.
Amen Brother! i own 3 289s and i love em all. such great motors.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Do what I did. Put in a TCI mustang ll kit.
Or you can buy v8 drag link tie rod ends and idle arm with V8 pitman arm and motor mounts for a 65 mustang. Use Granada spindles and rotors and calipers .

·
Registered
734 Posts
Thanks for gettin my back Dan... LOL That craiger guy was really handing it to me.. ;) LOL Just kiddin, I KNOW spam when I see it but for Posterity I usually give them ONE post before calling them out.
:bow:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts