Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new here but not to Mustangs. I've been around Mustangs since I was young when my dad started his collection and purchased a 67 convertible back in 1991, he then bought an 89 GT convertible, a 78 sedan, a 77 fast back. Both MK2 he rebuilt and sold as practice for restoring the 67 convertible. He restored this to original and enjoyed it and the 89 for many years before he died some 5 years ago. The 89 has since been sold and my brother inherited the 67 convertible.

So... Way back in 1992 my father and I hitched up a trailer and went to collect another Mustang, a 67 fastback. It was stored outside, in a wood, in deepest Lincolnshire here in the UK. It was in a sorry state, bits missing, damage, badly repaired rust, bits of floor missing. It was and still is a mess. Once home it was started for the first and last time since, it's 351 rattled into a shuddering idle and was promptly switched off due to the noise of open headers. The car was put into dry storage which is where it remains. He never got chance to restore it but now it's up to me to give it new life.

When he first got the car he researched the wheels as they are pretty unusual, all he could find were that they are rare torq thrust D. They are 14" diameter, the width is 8" at front, 10" at back. They have a magnesium center welded into a steel rim. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Those are rare indeed! Those are the wheels that were on the original Bullitt Mustang in the movie. Like you said, they are Torq Thrust D magnesium wheels. I'm not sure if they're usable in that condition, but I'd try to save them and restore them if I were you. I don't suppose you have the missing front piece from the rear one you're showing, do you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I do have some centers that were chucked in the car, not sure if original. They are actually in pretty good condition under all the dust, some surface corrosion but all still holding air after nearly 30 years!

Any info about when they were made etc? I can't find anything with the magnesium welded into a steel rim.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I do have some centers that were chucked in the car, not sure if original. They are actually in pretty good condition under all the dust, some surface corrosion but all still holding air after nearly 30 years!

Amy info about who made them etc? I can't find anything with the magnesium welded into a steel rim.
They're made by American Racing, who still makes an updated version of them. I have them on my '67 Mustang. They're all aluminum now, but the magnesium ones are the originals made in the 60s and are rare for sure. They stopped using magnesium because it gets hard and brittle over time and tends to lose its strength, but they're collectible and worth some money now. It would be great to see how they look all cleaned up.

·
Registered
540 Posts
First and foremost , they are NOT American Racing ! American NEVER made a two piece steel rimmed spoke wheel. The pictured wheel looks like one make by Mark II Industries back in the day. Mickey Thompson also had a two piece wheel. Careful cleaning of the inside of the spokes may show a manufacturers name. The center die casting is aluminum , not magnesium as you suggested. There were lots of "pop up" wheel companies back then that copied the American look.
Randy

·
Registered
4 Posts
I could be wrong about who made them but everywhere I've seen says they're made by American Racing, even the vintage ones from the 60s. The spokes on yours are magnesium for sure. Magnesium would oxidize and turn to a dark charcoal gray color over time, just like yours.

I'm no expert on this though. I'm just going off of what I've seen online. I'm not sure if the American Racing wheels are 2-piece like yours. It would take some research to find that out. If you haven't yet, maybe Google it and also look at wheels on eBay. Finding info about vintage car stuff is always a challenge, like solving a mystery.

·
Registered
540 Posts
67Mustang390,
I am not trying to be a jerk but you are mistaken about the magnesium versus aluminum deal. YES magnesium darkens when exposed to "the elements". BUT those wheel centers have steel "lugs" cast into them so they could be welded to the steel rim. That was done in a die cast mold that is very evident by the "webbing" in the spokes. Magnesium can not be cast that way AND arc welding around magnesium could cause it to catch fire. American Racing NEVER , even to this day, made a steel rim wheel with an aluminum center. YES they do have Torque Thrust II wheels that are two piece BUT they have an aluminum rim. I have owned Torque Thrust wheels in both aluminum and magnesium since 1965. I am very familiar with them.
respectfully,
Randy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might want to contact this guy; he knows a lot about classic wheels:

Thanks, dropped him an email, he replied back saying they are Fenton wheels which was great as it gave another avenue to research, however, the only 2 piece Fenton's I can find have a full aluminium face and don't have a visible steel rim as part of the 2 piece arrangement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keystone had a two piece wheel as well.
Thanks, just checked and they look similar to the Fenton and crager 2 piece where the aluminium covers the rim over the face and OD, so once the tyre is on you can't see the steel like this....

As opposed to mine where the steel rim shows from the face view

·
Registered
540 Posts
The visible steel rim is different for sure. Back then we had almost as many wheel companies as there are today. I still thinks there should be a manufacturers mark or logo somewhere on the inside of the spokes. IIRC it was a requirement for "street' legal wheels. You might check a Hot Rod or car Craft from '65 or later ( when the aluminum /steel wheel was created) for insight. I just can't remember them all. Superior was another now that I think of it.
Randy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The visible steel rim is different for sure. Back then we had almost as many wheel companies as there are today. I still thinks there should be a manufacturers mark or logo somewhere on the inside of the spokes. IIRC it was a requirement for "street' legal wheels. You might check a Hot Rod or car Craft from '65 or later ( when the aluminum /steel wheel was created) for insight. I just can't remember them all. Superior was another now that I think of it.
Randy
Really appreciate your input and suggestions. Yes I need to get them cleaned up, if I recall they had no visible markings when my dad investigated them. That was nearly 30 years ago so I might be mistaken! I also thought something could be stamped on the rim and need the tyre taking off to be seen.

Here's the car as it stands, a sorry state.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Major fixing indeed, fenders, rear quarters, front floors, inner tubs, bonnet, rebuild the scuttle panel, engine rebuild, manual conversion, Mustang 2 front suspension, I have a independent rear end but need to see how much work that needs before I commit. A lot of the parts are there, door skins, floors, there's even a 302 and aod gearbox, but I'm going to build the 351 that's in it instead.

The biggest issue at the minute is I need to build a garage at my new property to use for the restoration, it's currently at my mum's, 30mins away.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts