Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 ford ranger and it has the 4.0L and A4LD tranny. recently when i put it in gear it would just sit there and after about 5 seconds it would take off. Tonight when it did it it took a good 10 seconds to go. I checked the fluid and that is fine. I only have 10,000 on this tranny. What could be wrong??? Any help at all will be greatly appreciated!!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jade17h on 4/11/02 11:44am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
A4LD blues, very common problem. The one way roller clutch for overdrive is gone. The input shaft is also likely jammed in it because the splines are twisted. It seems the 2 things go together. The problem will get slowly worse as time goes by and the more you rev it and then it snaps into gear the quicker it will get worse.
Sorry but the tranny has to come out and have the one way replaced.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the help. Any idea what a good tranny shop should charge?? if i have a shift kit put in would this prevent this from happening again?? or what other options do i have???

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
It will be an expensive fix. It has been a long time since I could hang aroung my buddies tranny shop. But figure on about 3-500 in hard parts plus whatever else if wrong with the tranny.
A shift kit will not help or prevent the problem. The best davice with an A4LD is to not abuse it. Back out of a driveway, drop it in drive with a lurch and you just kissed 5000 miles of life away. When I had a Ranger with an A4LD I already knew the problems areas and I went very gently with it. Once the tranny was under load it is very tough. I used to haul anything and everything including my race car and trailer with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts