Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've gotten my dad somewhat interested in the ford 8.8 rear axle for his '64. Doing some quick calculations, it looks like with about a 26" tall tire he'd be around 2600 @ 60mph with the current 3.25 gears he has. This is purely street (some highway).

I kind of get the impression that the 3.27 gears you can get in the 8.8 would be ideal, but don't see many of the 3.27 posi explorer rears around.

Any thoughts on if this seems like a good ratio for the car (edelbrock rpm top end, toploader)? If so, I'm thinking we might need to also look into a ring & pinion.

Given that that is the case, are there other options, too? I'd assume this won't have much more that 300 horsepower.

The overall goal is to have limited slip and something similar to the current ratio (3.25). Disc brakes are a plus.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
If it already has a 8 or 9 in it I wouldn't bother with the 8.8.

·
Registered
158 Posts
cooker - that's a deal ... I personally WOULD go with it. It's a stronger rear than the stock 8" & you end up with a disc rear. Plus ... you can get a posi + different gears.

I believe in the forms someone actually shows you how to take that rear & make it work without too much fan fair. You will, however, need another short side axle.

IMO you'll have a much better rear with the explorer 8.8

If I did not already have a left over detriot locker with 4:11 gear set I'd be all over the 8.8. A friend did one in a '64 chevy II with great success. He races it regularly with drag radials with no issues.

6T4 Bolt

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Great Bang for the Buck! And easy to narrow it down, using a extra right side axle. If you can get the extra right side axle and install it at the yard, if its a Pic a Part type yard. So, you don't get charged for the extra axle.

Iwantmore has a good thread in the Tech section on cleaning the rear up and narrowing it. Although I think he paid to have it narrowed.

My Dad and I narrowed mine for the Falcon, it worked out great. Easy to do.

Jet

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I went to my local yard looking for the Explorer, happened on a 97 Mustang GT with the 8.8" trac-lok with 3:27;s.
Its same as the Explorers, but for the life of me i can;t recall shortening one side.
Now, i did have the Torino big bearings ends installed, i remember that much & did install the Currie rear discs which are basicaly the Explorer rear disc set up, so maybe i did have the one side shortened then.
Anyway, the 3:27;s/trac-lok was what i was after

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
The 8.8 is a good swap. Some 6 cylinders came with 3.27's and there were 3.55's with both engines. It would be cheaper to pay a little more and get the right gears to start. All I saw at the upulls were 3.73's but doing a search and paying $250 should get you what you want with a warranty. Mine was $86 but I installed 4.10's and overdrive. Try this to do some searching. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
While searching the yard, look at the tag on the drivers door.

Found this axle ratio code list,

Code 43 Open 3.08
41 Open 3.27
42 Open 4.10
46 Open 3.73
45 Open 3.55
D4 Limited Slip 3.73
D2 Limited Slip 4.10

Hope this helps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts