Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've taken back two water necks now. I broke my water neck when installing a new thermostat and now I can't seem to find a replacement I've returned the ones from Auto Zone and O'Rileys because the thermostat sits in a milled out slot in the stock neck and is bigger than both the ones I've picked up. Please help, a part number and supplier would be great.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
160 Posts
Many options available, not sure what you tried but here are a few options: Spectre SPEC-4736
Trans Dept TRD-9524
Billet specialities BSP-90730
canton racing CTR 80-058
Four seasons 161-84829
All summit part numbers again dont know what you have tried but hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
I'm pretty sure he needs the housing which fits the larger thermostats.
Looks like those ones listed are for the later smaller thermostats.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered the spec, we'll see in two days I guess.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Survival Motorsports sells an adapter plate that will allow you to use a small thermostat housing on a large thermostat intake. Think it was around $10 last time I looked.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Tough to find those big water outlets. Ford switched its FEs to the small (2") ones in 67 or 68, Dearborn does not carry them, I know.

I switched to the small housing and thermostat. To keep the stat from falling into the 2 1/8" intake opening I packed some JB weld around the rim of the opening, and all was well.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Try ordering one for a 65 Galaxie with a 390. It takes the large thermostat. I got one from my NAPA store.

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
Cool, how much are they?

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
I couldn't enter a zip code being an Aussie. :)

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
Found that RockAuto have them for $14.25 at the moment.
Looks the same as the one from O'Reillys with the same part number.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quit breaking them, by gently gluing the thermostat in place with a small bit of RTV. :)
I did exactly that. I'm really not sure why the dang thing broke. I've got the smaller Spectre coming as well as an OEM 2 1/8" neck with the temp sensor fitting, I'll weigh my options when they come in. Is there a down side to using the Spectre with the adapter? Either way I wanted the temp sensor fitting because I want to run an electric fan so it really isn't a loss.

Thanks all for the information, I'd be lost with out you guys. This sure ain't a Chevy crate motor build I thought I was pretty well educated in working on cars till I met this 7 Litre. lol

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, got my Spectre neck in. It's a small thermostat housing, as expected. So, I'm going to use my good ole fabrication skills and make an adapter out of some aluminum I have laying around. This looks easier than I thought, but those always seem to be my famous last words. And if I totally screw it up, the Ford 2 1/8" neck should be here tomorrow.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Works like a charm!

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh yeah, if someone needs the larger one with an opening for a temp gauge I've got an extra now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts