Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 64 Lincoln continental with what I believe is a Versailles rear end & brakes. I took my brakes off to rebuild and now I'm stuck being I don't know what kind of brakes they are.. I was almost positive they were off a Versailles because the style of the e-bracket.. BUT my pistons are 2.5" and Versailles measure 2 1/8" also I have 11" rotors.. From what I've read online Versailles are 10"
I'm having a hell of a time getting my car back together being I don't know what to buy parts for.
I've done hours of resarch trying to find some info but no luck :(

I took a few pictures hoping someone might recognize what I've got.
I'm open to any suggestions!!
Thanks!!

lincolnbrakes pictures by Scotttstorch - Photobucket

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
You maybe correct but if you dig a little deeper maybe try the "big" car versions, as noted HERE .You need to scroll down just a little for some info....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Check your lug pattern, 5 on 4-1/2 pattern is Versailles.
The 5 on 5 pattern was used on the big cars like 78 & older LTDs, big Turdbirds, Lincolns and big Mercurys of the same era, not all of them but many of the big cars had disc brakes on the rear.

They were a big heavy design, even the Vesailles version was Titanic heavy.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Look familiar?

David

Example from Centric - 75-76 T-Bird/MkIV and 77-79 MkV:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has adapters on it about 1-1/2 thick. I'll have to measure in the morning.
The pistons have a different center than the one posted above.. My calipers have a hex head in the center at lease 1" in diameter to adjust the caliper..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PSIG- after looking at the caliper you posted I think that's the same as what I've got. :) I'm gonna run by Oreilly tommarro and see if I can get a rebuild kit for a tbird. I've seen a few people online aren't too fond of the Versailles brakes.. Are the T-bird ones any better?
Thanks for all the help. I'll check back tommarrowand let you guys know how it went :tup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I know this is an old thread but i believe i have literally "Stumbled" across something that may be added to this issue. i too have 1 of these "boat anchor" diff's we're rebuilding for a customer, with the larger pistons in it (2 1/2") The 1979 Thunderbird Heritage edition had the same general caliper casting, but with the larger piston! The o'reilly's (Brake best house brand) rebuild kit # is 41032

1 - 8 of 8 Posts