Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made up my mind to build a 545 for my Torino. I have a early model block thats ready to go @ .030 over. I am going to use 6.7 rods and a 4.5 stroke crank. Who has the best prices and what pistons should I get. I am looking to get 11.0:1 cr w/ DOVE-C heads, They will be fully ported with 2.24/1.74 vavles if they will fit. My goal is 580-600 hp at the fly. The cam will be hyd roller 254/264 @ .050 .640 lift and 112 lobe seperation. Should i run it with 4 deg advance? I am going to run a edel Performer RPM since I already have one and a 850 dp. I am looking for a powerband in the 2k-6500 range. I have a 3k stall already and will probably run 3.25 gears. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mgt351 on 5/5/02 8:10am ]</font>

·
Registered
407 Posts
Check out Flatlander Racing for stroker kits. They seem to have good prices,but check out the prices individually at other places also. For that size engine the 850 cfm sounds small,perhaps have it reworked. I would install the cam straight up, see how she runs and establish a baseline then advance it and see what you get.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which rods would be best, I am looking at the 6.7, but see alot of stuff for the 6.605. Anyone have any info on the two?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Which rods? Depends on the pistons you want to use. What most folks do is try and have the compression height of the piston, the rod length, and half the stroke equal the deck height of the block.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greg were did you get your crank and rods from? I know i might be off on the power band, but I would like to atleast pull to 6k. I really want this car to be capable of high 11's, but it's going to be a street car. I want something that will walk all over most any LS1 I see around town!
The car is running low 13's with a mild 429 now. What is your opinion on the cam? I will eventually make other upgrades as well but I think this is a descent start.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
MGT351

I like the JE pistons with 6.7 rods that I used in my 557 over the Ross pistons with 6.8 rods that I first installed. The JE's are a little lighter than the Ross pistons. Either one will probably be a custom piston.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really don't haver any of the parts except the intake, carb, headers, block and heads. The cam is what i have come up with so far, but I would like to hear suggestions, I plan on a custom grind so nothing will be unreasonable. I just want to have it well planned out before i start putting down alot of money.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Gregcook

Did you flow your heads after the porting? If so what were the flow numbers roughly? How extensive was the port work?

Im worried about my engine "falling in its face" from the same problem ( too small of head) 6000 rpm? I need 500 to 1000 more

If its not top secret
what size tire and gear ratio do you run in that car? Actually I would like to know alot more about your combo.

ps COOL CAR

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlownFairlane on 5/7/02 2:53pm ]</font>

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How much lift can you get away with in one of these strokers? I know there all going to be diffrent according to heads, pistons, rods etc. But what is a ruff estimate?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts