Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went racing this weekend and no matter what I do in the quarter, my 60 foot times are between 2.48 and 2.51. Would a better converter help? This one was made by a company here in town but I cant even get it to stall to 2500 this the gas and holding the brakes. Could this possibly be part of the problem? Any suggestions would be apreciated.
Thanks
Tracy

·
Registered
373 Posts
Your 60 foots definitely need to be improved. What were your 1/8 and 1/4 times and speeds? This will tell us how much power you are making. Were you spinning off the line? Or bogging?
Converters vary widely in terms of stall and performance. A custom built converter will go a long ways toward improving your 60 foot but lets get some more info about your combo first. Are you using stock heads? Slicks/drag radials/ or street radials? What size? Any traction aids?

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Depending on your combo you may not want to stall it out, that can hurt your times. Need to know more about what your combo is, your time slips and are you spinning the tires?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One slip I have is
Reaction .0522
60 foot 2.389 ( sorry didnt know I got one this low)
mid MPH 78.9
MPH2 97.43

I'm shifting at 6500 (just after it starts to lay over like its running out of fuel and or I keep breaking hydarulic lifters) I am running a holley blue pump thats being replaces by a mallory 110.
I know the tires are slipping a little cause I can feel the rear wiggle and then again from first to second.
My heads are a pair from power heads, cnc ported 289 heads with 1.95 intake, 1.85 exhaust, screw in studs with guides.
I know I could do better heads but thats what I had the money for when I bought them.
Rinning 225/55-16 no traction aids
Thanks for your guidence
Tracy

·
Registered
596 Posts
What was your 1/4 time? I'd guess mid 14's w/ your mph and 60' time.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
The FIRST thing you need are tires! You need either a set of street slicks or drag slicks. That will drop your 60' time to about 1.9 or so.
If you get a GOOD converter that stalls to around 3200 you will drop 60' times even more. You could quite possibly end up with a high 1.7 short time.
Also IMHO, I think your cam would like a stealth intake better than the victor Jr. I think it would help your low end torque. I don't think your cam is big enough for the victor jr....but that's just my opinion....

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
What do you feel the problem is with your slow 60 ft,.not making good bottom end or a traction problem?..82GT might be onto something with the vic jr intake,especially if you are lauching at 2500 or less rpm.Will the convertor spike up to 2500 if you nail it from a stop and don't preload it?

J-code 306 [email protected] build underway

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 8/22/06 9:30am ]</font>

·
Registered
142 Posts
Good looking ride

I would go with a dual plane intake and possibly a higher rear end gear. Let me guess
you're running a 3.50. with a 16" rim.

I'm sure a set of drag radials, a dual plane intake ie an air gap or stealth and a set of 3.80 or 4.10 posi gears will get you some respectable street car #'s.

Just remember when you cut a good light and put down a respectable time you’ll just want to go faster.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/pictures/josepheblack/IMG_0010.JPG

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm actually running a 3:89 with a detroit. I ran a dual plane and the car was actaully slower. I love the way the engine seems "free're" with the vic jr, how much more can should I run? I've tried and the converter wont flash to 2500 most of the time, even from a dead launch. The few times it has flashed 2500 the rear would just let loose, had to short shift to 2nd and still backpedal .
Thanks again
Tracy

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
No, his signature says he's running 3:89's.
What's the lift on that cam? I kinda think you have a mismatched cam and intake combo....and the fact you need better tires.
You will NEVER cut spectacular 60' times on street tires.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The lift is .512. The cam card says 2500-6800rpm. Should I be running more of a performer rpm? I think I will by a set of the 26 x 8 MT slicks.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I don't see how a cam with that lift and duration can make power all the way to 6800...but anyway...yeah, you should benefit from a duel plane intake such as the air gap or stealth.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks

·
Registered
373 Posts
A '64 Comet is a fairly big car isn't it? With only 302 cubes I would think that a good dual plane would work better on that car. It also sounds like you are shifting it too high.

The very first thing you must do is get some good tires. You will never stick off the line like you should with street tires. Those small MT slicks would work great. Once you are able to floor it from the line with traction THEN you can see what you need to change next.
I'm thinking a good custom converter (not off the shelf) along with a high rise dual plane intake would do wonders for you.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Slicks, Adjustable Drag Shocks, Put your battery in the back. If still not satisfied then try a looser convertor.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds like I'll start with slicks and go from there. Its not all that big, a little longer than a 4-door falcon, 114" wheel base. It doesnt feel like I'm shifting too high, its still pulling hard when I do, it just lays over about 6800. The battery is in the trunk already. I will try a dual plane, I had a torker 2 and it felt so corked up, it just ran a lot better with the victor.
Thanks a million, I'll let you know!
Tracy

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
The torker II isn't a very good manifold for the 289/302 so its not surprising the victor felt better.If you could raise your starting line rpms the victor might work for you but leaving at 2500 or less is going to be soggy with the victor.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did some work last night and began with the basics. I checked the timing, where I thought I had the 18 degree advance stop in my msd, I had the 28 in which it ended up with almost 48 degree total timing. I installed the 18, have full advance by 2500 and set the initial at 18. Talk about waking up! That intake doesnt seem soft now,throttle responce is good and if I just stand on it the rear lets go...I got sooo excited I ordered the slicks and wheels(26 x 8.5 15) I know you guys are brobably right I should run the rpm, but now with the timing set right, at least on the street and the blow by the sherrifs station
it pulls harder than it ever has (with a lot less traction). There is hope! Still cant tell if the converter is flashing because I cant get it to bite.
Thanks for your help, I'll let you know.
Tracy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts