Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1966 mustang and want to up grade the rearend. I have heard that I will have a great deal of trouble because of the tapers in the axles. Is this true? What could I get a 9" out of that would be easiest to put in? Also, I have run across a 1962 Ford truck, it is a work truck with the cabinets on it. Im guessing it has a 9" in it would this work? Also it has a 4 speed in it, is this tranny stronger than the 3 speed i have in my car?

·
Registered
314 Posts
The truck rear will be too wide. Here is a list of widths from different cars.

http://www.mustangsandmore.com/ubb/FordRearDimensions.html

Find one that is close to the width of your Mustang rear and you can make it work.

The original Mustang 8" rears used 2 3/4" axle tubes. The few Mustangs that came with the 9" had axle tubes that necked down from 3" to the 2 3/4" on the ends. Full size car and truck rear ends all had the 3" tubes all the way. You can use one of these, providing that it is the same width. You will just have to get larger U-bolts that bolt the housing in and also will need to re-drill your shock plates to match the larger U-bolts.

Sorry, but don't know of the truck trans.

Later,

David Cole

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I run mid 12's with a Ford 8 inch rear end on 9 inch slicks. I footbrake at 3500 and the converter flashes to 4500. I swapped out the stock third member for an equalock out of an old drag strip Fairlane and put Richmond gears in it. I also boxed up my spring perches.

I found another mustang at my track running 11.70's with an 8 inch rear. He leaves at 5000 on the trans brake with 26 x 10 slicks. The only thing he did was put a 71 Maverick third member in his with a spool and 4.10 gears. I'm pretty sure he welded up his spring perches too but I forgot to ask about it.

The 8 inch rear is said to be too weak for anything but its just not true. I slammed one of the magazines recently(did no good) for saying the 8 inch was puny. Of course, their article was selling Currie 9 inch rear end packages. I have nothing against Currie, their stuff is good. There are just too many times that people yank perfectly good 8 inch rears that they could run and expend mass quantities of money on a 9 when it isn't really needed. The magazines are bad about propogating these myths around.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree the ford 8" is a very capable rear end. Some parts are alittle hard to find but overall it suits it's purpose.I never had any problems with the one I had in my 79 granada which had a 351W in it.Good luck with which ever way you decide to go.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get an EqualLoc for my 8" I looked in the Summit and Paw catalogs and didn't see them.
Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts