Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Im a newbie to this type of thing and need some help with choice of cam.

My setup is gunna be

351w stroked to 427 with a probe street fighter kit
Edelbrock Vic jnr heads
Prob go for an edl Rpm manifold
reduced base circle cam (retro fit hydraulic)

Mainly street useage, so would prefer not to be kangarooing around in traffic (which we get alot of over here in the UK)

so Im thinking one of the comp cams but not sure where to even start with this one?

Any help you can give would be much appriciated

cheers
Ben

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
On 2006-07-27 09:43, benbaron wrote:
Hi guys,

Im a newbie to this type of thing and need some help with choice of cam.

My setup is gunna be

351w stroked to 427 with a probe street fighter kit
Edelbrock Vic jnr heads
Prob go for an edl Rpm manifold
reduced base circle cam (retro fit hydraulic)

Mainly street useage, so would prefer not to be kangarooing around in traffic (which we get alot of over here in the UK)

so Im thinking one of the comp cams but not sure where to even start with this one?

Any help you can give would be much appriciated

cheers
Ben
Whats kangarooing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice looking car, Im after something a bit more classic for my next project and looking at that I may well plumb for it.

By kangarooing, I mean jumping around a bit, Im after a nice torqy monster which will be driveable in traffic but be able to scare the s**t out of me when I want it to...

Oh yeah its to go in a Cobra kit, so that would weight in at not much more than 1100 lbs (or somewhere abouts)

cheers
Ben

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry must stop abbriviating things.

It needs to be a retro fit hydraulic roller cam (I believe they only come with reduced base circle). they are for use in older blocks that didnt come with roller cam as standard.(thats my take on it anyway) - sorry if Im teaching to suck eggs

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
why dont you use the link-bar type lifters and open your engine up to a wider choice of cams,and that rpm manifold will be maxed out with 427 ci,might get a better result from a single plane manifold

·
Registered
377 Posts
Will the heads be ported? Header size? Gear? Weight? Intended rpm? Carb size? Compression?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, thanks for all this, here we go..

I thought the RPM manifold would be better to bring the power further down the rpm range, Im not looking for a high reving motor but more a motor that has lots of grunt but not something to tow with. (if thats not correct then Im open to changes on this one)

Already have the Spider and roller lifters for the block so Im not keen on shelling out on the linked lifters and Im also under the impression that using a standard cam (ie not reduced base circle) would possibly cause clearence issues with the stroker kit...

Heads will be standard Vic Jnrs not ported no.s are..
60cc
210cc flow
int 2.05" exh 1.60"
should be about 10.25:1 CR (maybe a wee bit more but not up to 10.5)

Headers have yet to be fabricated so that would be something negotiable

Weight I presume you mean vehicle weight, round about 1100 KG

Carb size 750cc (edelbrock - got)

Gear, 4 speed toploader CR (got), dont know which rear yet will get that later depending on what is advised.

Really appiciate the effort guys, anything else I need to give let me know

Ben

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
opps RPM range, dont want to rev over 6500, possibly limit to 6000, looking for the power and acceleration low down in the range but not sure where exactly I should aim for, which again is something that doesnt help me make up my own mind with the choices given on the comp cams website....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Brian,

sorry to be stupid but are those numbers for a custom grind? (like I said Im new to this

Also Im bashing the figures into Desktop Dyno, and I dont know what equates to what, but Ive got

Int [email protected] 0.579
Exh [email protected] 0.600
Int duration 244.0
Exh duration 248.0
IVO (BTDC) 16.0
IVC (ABDC) 48.0
EVO (BBDC) 62.0
EVC (ATDC) 6.0

Are these correct? Im assuming they are because the results are very nice looking.
do you know if I could get that in a retro fit cam?

If possible I would prefer to go with a none custom grind as Im not confident of ordering correctly, would there be any that are near this grind?

Really do appriciate the effort

Ben

·
Registered
377 Posts
If you order from me, I can ship it to you. It's a custom grind. Cam grinders are not engine builders...yes the recieve feed back from engine builders but the bottom line is that they usually are not spot on when it comes to making cam choices.
Those are lobe numbers, you would order the cam for your engine, a retrofit hyd. roller cam, with desired base circle, those lobe numbers, the lobe center and how much advance you want ground into the core...I usually get around 2-4 unless it's a tight lobe center then grinding the cam with 4 degrees can be a bear.
Brian

1 - 14 of 14 Posts