Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping someone could help clear up some confusion I have about cams. I have heard so many conflicting things about cams. I am building a bracket car with a 9:5:1 351W with stock heads, mild porting, and bigger valves. I have heard that the stock heads are only good for about 5500 RPMs so you shouldn't run a cam with duration more than 230 @50, but then I hear that because of the lack of flow of the heads that you need to run a bigger cam to offset it.
Then I hear because of the heads that you need to keep the lobe seperation at 110 or higher. Then I hear the opposite that due to the lack of flow I need to have a 108 or 106 lobe seperation.
Then I have heard because of the heads you need to run a dual pattern cam, then I hear No because of the heads and that it is a mild engine I need to run a single pattern cam.
Hopefuly someone can clear up the confusion for me.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I really like the Lunati BracketMaster cam for stock ported 351 heads. It has 230 duration and .512 lift. It will come on VERY strong at 2500 rpms and likes to be shifted at 5800-6000. 3.80 gears for a 3500 stall automatic or 4.11 for a stick shift. Good for low 13's-mid 12's depending on weight of car. Very consistent!

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
You might want to check out some tech stuff on Buddy Rawls site. It took me a couple of readings to get my mind around it, but it made me a believer.

http://www.wighat.com/fcr3/camtruth.htm

He will spec a cam based on your combination and desired performance.

He did one for my 331 and when I fire it up in a couple of months I expect big things from it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts