Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 65 galaxie 500 xl with 390 engine I am restoring. My dad has had it parked since the 70s so I know nothing has been changed since then. I was tring to find out if it has the original motor, which would be great I was hoping to have all numbers matching. The date code on the car is 30A26, the Block is C4AE 6015-A, the heads is C4AE 6090G. I was told it came with the 390 thunderbird engine and it does have the chrome thunderbird valve covers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
There is a date code on the block by the oil filter adapter. You should be able to see it from under the car. The heads you will have to pull the valve covers to find the date code. The date code you gave for the car doesn't look right. It should be a number followed by a letter, like 24A.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry the date code on the car is just 30A. I was told it came with the 390 thunderbird special. Would the 64 thunderbird motor still be original if the car was built in January of 65? What would the date code look like on the head and block. I did not see anything that looked like a date code on the block. Thanks

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
That's an iffy thing there. The 30A is January 30th 1965, 5 months after the initial production of the 65 model began...

That being said, it should be well into the C5AE casting time frame. But if the Date codes on the BLOCK and on the Heads are say late October to Late December 64 then It's almost a sure bet that it's the original engine.

Are there any numbers stamped into the flat spot just under the front of the heads on either side?

What is the date code on the Intake and on the Carb? Whats the VIN Number of your beast?

Let's get this question opened up a little.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Found the dates on the block and head the block is 4D16 and the heads are 4D21 and 4D14 also the intake is C4SE-9425A date code is 4C27. Also found small aluminum engine tag on intake that had a 390-?-1 over 4D-343-D. Hope this helps. Thanks

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
On that Aluminum tag there are TWO numbers missing '64' is on there somewhere prior to the numbers 390 there should be a 64, making it a 64 390 that someone transplanted into your car.

THE April of 64 date4 code is far to old to be used in your January 65 year model. Ford was putting out to many cars for the 64 engine to have sat so long waiting for an engine bay.

You likely have a 2V Galaxie vin code to boot, making the motor noticeably incorrect for your car to be numbers matching.

Still a hell of an engine for a hell of a nice car :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help. The car shows to be a Z code car. Is there any way to tell if it came with the 390 thunderbird special vs the standard 390

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yes, then engine is definitely too early for your car. That being said, it is basically identical to what would have been in its place. A few numbers are the only difference, and since a Z code Galaxie isn't a highly collectable car, I wouldn't even worry about it. Unless you happen to come across one for real cheap, it definitely won't be worth chasing date correct parts for your car. The other nice thing is that now it leaves you a little more open to upgrades without ruining a numbers matching car.

Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts