Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropped my fuel tank on my 65 and the sending unit was positioned at what would be 3 o'clock. Repositioned it to what would be 6 o'clock. I assumed it would need to be as close to the bottom as possible without touching. Tank was dry and put in about a quarter of a tank and gauge now reads full. Would this be the right position? The unit had 2007 stamped on it, so I don't know if previous owner installed correct part. Thanks for any info

·
Registered
406 Posts
Just went thru this with my 65. Reverse the sending unit connector. Mine was reversed (sending unit was wired backwards). When attached the hot wire from the gauge went directly to ground. When reversed it went thru the rheostat and reads fine now. There are two wires that go to the sending unit but those two wires DO NOT go completely back to the gauge. The HOT wire goes to the gauge but the other goes to GROUND in the trunk. (look next to your spare tire!) The wiring comes thru the trunk floor next to the spare and one wire goes to ground. The other continues to the gauge. I was initially skeptical of this because the connector at the sending unit looks like it only fits one way. It will fit easily turned 180 degrees!!

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
Where did you guys get your sending units?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried reversing the wire that day. It then showed that my tank was full,even though there was only a few gallons in it. My sending unit was put in by previous owner. Should it be facing straight down? Thanks

·
Registered
406 Posts
GALAXIRVERT, I rotated my sending unit until the pickup tube touched the bottom of the tank. The sending unit had little alignment tabs on it. My tank had a little rust damage to the "hole" that the unit fit into. I don't know if a new tank had matching alignment slots for the tabs on the sending unit or not. My fuel tube exits pointing at approx. 2 o'clock position and lines up with the stock steel fuel line.

·
Registered
406 Posts
GALAXIEVERT, another thing you should check is the voltage in the hot wire going to the sending unit. Put a multimeter in the sending unit wire to the gague (under the car) The voltage should be variable between 12 volts then 0 volts and should cycle on and off. THIS IS NORMAL as there is a unit in your dash that does this to fool your gauge that it is receiving 6 volts and they didn't have reliable solid state units to step down the voltage back in the day. If no voltage noted then put one tester in the hot wire (I believe yellow/white) AND THE OTHER TO GROUND. If you see voltage you have a bad ground in the wiring to the sending unit. GOOD LUCK!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts