Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a set of Cast Iron World Products Windsor Jr Heads for installation on my 5.0 Motor. I bought the heads from an E-bay Auction and the guy also put in the pushrods and a set of 1.6 stud mount roller rocker arms. I had the local machine shop check everything out and everything looks good.

Now, I am at the point of putting it all together and I realized that I'm not quite certain how to properly assemble the valve train. I generally understand how everything goes together but, I am not exactly certain how tight to tighten the stud nuts.

I would appeciate any tips, advice, and/or point me to a good reference manuals that might describe the proper way to ensure that I have assembled everything correctly.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Solid or hydraulic lifters? I think this question comes up about once every week or two. We really need a FAQ for this one.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hydraulic....

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Make sure the cylinder your working on is at TDC. Install the rockers and pushrods. Oil up the trunnions, the roller, and the pushrod cup. Now rotate the pushrod with your fingers and tighten the nut on the rocker. When you feel resistance in the pushrod, STOP. Turn the nut 1/2 to 3/4 turn more and lock the set screw in the top of the nut. Make sure that the nut seats into the flat or a counterbore on the trunnion.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Assemble all the rockers, pushrods and start all the rocker nuts so that the rockers are not loose but don't tighten them. Turn the motor over by hand clockwise just like it normally rotates and watch the exhaust rocker on #1 cylinder(passenger side front). When the pushrod just starts to move the exhaust rocker then stop and adjust the INTAKE rocker arm on that one.

For hydraulics you turn down the rocker nut while rotating the pushrod between your thumb and finger. As soon as you feel any resistance on the pushrod stop and then crank it down another 1/2 turn.

Continue turning the motor by hand and watch the intake rocker arm that you just adjusted. When it lifts all the way and then is 1/3 to 2/3 back down stop and adjust the EXHAUST rocker arm on that cylinder. Continue on to the next cylinder and do them all the same way.

The Short Form
Exhaust starts to open
..adjust intake rocker
Intake opens all the way and starts to close
..adjust the exhaust rocker

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THANKS!!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts