Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a set of wheels/tires for my stock 64 2 door Hardtop. I have searched online for what will fit. Perhaps someone here can help me?? The rear end is the factory 8" 5 lug and everything else is still stock as well (there is air shocks in the rear...but i prefer to not have the ass end jacked up). I just want to know what is the largest wheel /tire combo I can go with. I sort of wanted a lower profile tire on a larger (maybe 16-17") rim. In addition, what are the front and rear back spacings required? I searched and searched before posting but it seemed that everyone else had swapped rear ends or made other modifications etc.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Old64bird.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
The off-set is going to depend on the wheel width you want. I can tell you that even an 8-inch wide wheel is going to be tight once the tire is installed. When my car had the stock 8" rearend I ran a 15x8" wheel with 225/60-15's and they would rub. It was tight on both the inside and out, so it wouldn't have mattered is the off-set was different to what I had. That is about as wide as you'll be able to go without issues.

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The off-set is going to depend on the wheel width you want. I can tell you that even an 8-inch wide wheel is going to be tight once the tire is installed. When my car had the stock 8" rearend I ran a 15x8" wheel with 225/60-15's and they would rub. It was tight on both the inside and out, so it wouldn't have mattered is the off-set was different to what I had. That is about as wide as you'll be able to go without issues.

John
Thanks for your reply. I was thinking, from what I have been reading, that i'll put a 7" wheel up front and a 8" in the rear. What tire sizes should I be looking at for the front/rear? Like I said, I want something with a lower profile tire...what exactly designates the "profile" as far as numbers?? Sorry, I'm new at this and it's my first Falcon.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I was thinking, from what I have been reading, that i'll put a 7" wheel up front and a 8" in the rear. What tire sizes should I be looking at for the front/rear? Like I said, I want something with a lower profile tire...what exactly designates the "profile" as far as numbers?? Sorry, I'm new at this and it's my first Falcon.
I have 15x8 torq thrust with a 235-60-15 and a 4.5" backspace on my 65 Sprint but I narrowed the rear end to get it to fit. I use a 15x6 on the front with a 215-60-15. on our 64 Comet I went with a 16x8 with a 4.89" backspace Torq Trust 2.1 and a 245-50-16 tire and it barley fits with no modifications. I would look for a wheel in a 8" that has 5" of backspace for the rear. That should fit. As far as tire sizes go the first number on a 245-50-16 is the width in mm 245mm, The second number 50 is the sidewall height, 50 being it is 50% as tall as it is wide and the last number 16 is your rim size. So lets take the 245mm and divide it by 25.4= 9.6" then divide that by 2 (50%) and you get a sidewall height of 4.8". Now as you go wider in tire size say from a 245 to a 255 and you stay with a 50 sidewall your tire is now 10mm wider and about a 1/4" taller. hope that makes some sense. My opinion on a 8" rim is not to go any smaller then a 235 tire. if you are using a 7" rim a 215,225 and 235 wide tire will fit well, on a 8" wide rim I like a 235,245,255 and a 265 is the max width. With a 6" rim I would use a 215 ,205,or 195 width tire. Now I know people will run a 225 on a 8" rim but I just think it does not look that great. you might as well use a 7" rim. just my opinion yours my vary

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
It's not real clear in this photo but if you look at the straight edge on my rear tire the reading that is upside-down is the metric measurement. Mine are BFG 295/50-15's. From sidewall to sidewall they are roughly 12" or a little over 295mm wide. It's hard to tell in the photo, but they are wider than 295 mm overall and under 295mm tread width.

While you would think all tire manufactures tires are the same width and height on a given size they are not. I'm not sure if some measure sidewall to sidewall and others tread width or what but they are not the same across the board. In other words, don't count on any two advertised tire sizes to be correct. Rim width also has a big effect on mounted tire width so that will change as well.

The best way to get it all right is to take the car down to a place that is willing to work with you and try them on. Don't let them tell you "Once they're mounted, they're yours". If they are wrong and don't fit properly you're stuck with them.

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts