Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got this z-bar and the frame bracket off of a 64 gal 390 4 speed car. Then I found an engine bracket on craigslist 6 mo ago. Finally getting around to convert from auto to 4 speed. Went to put on z bar and bracket for engine side does not appear to be right. To use the bracket I have on the engine side my z bar could only be 7 1/2 inches wide instead of the nine it is. See pictures. What have I got and does anyone have pictures of the one I need. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
On my car, the bar is 8". You might have the wrong bar.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
These are mine from the 427.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On my car, the bar is 8". You might have the wrong bar.
I personally took this z bar off of a 64 gal at my friends house. So it should be right I think, or is there a difference between 63 and 64 on the z bar? Anyone have one out they can measure besides the 427.
I was going to drive it to a show tomorrow, but does not look like it, frustration setting in.
Carl

·
Registered
751 Posts
I went out to the garage and measured mine (in-car) and it's easily 8" + (hard to get in behind steering gear to measure that last inch, lol). I also double-checked my Ford MPC and 1963 & '64 352/390 bars are the same p/n: C3AZ-7528-F for sh*ts the 406/427 bar is: C3AZ-7528-G.

While at it I checked the frame & engine side brkts, and again; 352/390 for 63 & 64 are the same number.

Methinks that engine-side brkt you got from CL is from something else? Book sez that 1961-64 352/390 engine-side are the same, but differ for 406/427. If you still have your engine-side brkt out, maybe you can browse pics on google, etc and compare ? Looking to see how much 'reach' difference there is between the two. Just ideas :)

Norm

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That bar you have might be for a 3 on the tree 240 Z-bar.....

The longer a Z-bar is the smaller the engine and tranny combo they belong to..
But like i said i took it out of the 390 car

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Your Z bar engine bracket is wrong. If you PM me your email address I can send you pictures of all the 63-64 Galaxie clutch linkage. 223 and 352-390 Z bars are the same. Just the engine brackets are different.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts