Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I put the clutch in at a stop sign, heard a big BANG and the car was stuck in gear, but the pedal was halfway down. Swung it into a parking lot and stalled it with the brakes...actually a decent parking job for have 5 seconds from failure to stall-parked with manual steering and brakes :)

Anyway, I can tell that the frame-side of the Z-bar mount is off, but I couldn't really crawl all over it in my work clothes.

Anyone had this happen? Is there a typical way these fail?

From what I can see (not much), it almost looks like th bolts holding the mount just backed out. The optimist in me hopes I can just get two more bolts and put the thing back where it goes.

The pessimist is worried it actually tore a chunk out of the subrframe there, or something painful/expensive.

My wife's going to bring up a change of clothes and some tools to see if I can fix it where it sits.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I had this happen to my cars (many a time) usually on a Friday morning. The thing is worn out if the nylon ball falls off the end of the equalizer tube on the frame side. First the C clip then the ball falls to the inside, then you do not notice anything, maybe adjust the bearing a bit, and then it falls very loose an near off by end of the week.

I used to poop out one of the fingers on the clutch, so got in habit of limping all the way home (10 blocks to 100 miles) as if you have a tachometer, you then know exactly as to when to shift gears, w/o using the pedal. Slow down for the red traffic signal but do not stop.

If yours tore out of the frame, then need to remove column and replace (or weld in) with some sort of Tee nut to tighten it all up again. Each bracket on the frame may look the same as another, but is not. You have to fix what you got.

Nothing you can do in a parking lot.

Wm.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing you can do in a parking lot.
Yes and no. Mostly yes.

Turns out the fram-mount pivot broke. This thing, if you're unfamiliar. The male post part busted right off of the rest of the bracket.

I knew there was some play in the Z-bar, but didn't really expect the post to just break off like that.

Just ordered the frame mount bracket, all the bushings and the clutch pedal bearing kit from Falconparts.com.

This might've been a great opportunity to go to a hydraulic setup, but it doesn't seem like there's any obvious kit out there for a Falcon + T10 + 260 combo.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Depending on hydraulic kit, itd be more of a pain to got to hydraulic. Need slace cylinder, throw out bearing, etc. Upwards of $500 for mine. Going back to linkage type for parts availability per friend whos been around a lot of cars.

·
Registered
52 Posts
That failure is almost as much fun as having the z-bar tube split on the road to a show. Trailered it home on the Falcon recovery unit. Replaced the bar. Next time I have a problem I'm going to a a hydraulic

64 Falcon Sprint
No rust no bondo
Ex race car

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Hey Madscience- Nice job parking. Been there. Also done the parking with no brakes... none... rubbed a curb for a while to stop completely.

Anyway weld the back side of the bracket where the stud peeks through. The stud side needs to be clear, but the outside part can have a bead. That's what I did 15 years ago or so with mine. I also drilled out the studs on the Z bar and converted the linkage to heim joints. I also drilled and tapped the Z bar tube for a zerk fitting accessible from the bottom.

My newest project is I welded in some bearing retainers on a set of pedals so I'll have roller action under the dash.

Andy

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also drilled out the studs on the Z bar and converted the linkage to heim joints.
Was thinking of doing this. Smoooooooth action.

My newest project is I welded in some bearing retainers on a set of pedals so I'll have roller action under the dash.
Yeah, I got the Falconparts bearing kit for the clutch pedal. I'd love to build or buy an all-bearing, adjustable 3-pedal set that makes it easier to heel-toe...but that'll have to wait till another day.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Guys, sorry I came in late on this one, but you can find all kinds of clutch related parts in the catalogs for old army jeeps.
Seems they used a bunch of different early Falcon, Econoline, F-100 and other Ford parts on the Jeeps.
You just have to look at the pictures and match them with the parts you're trying to replace.
I couldn't find the bronze split ball bushing for my Z-bar until I stumbled on one of those catalogs.
Dead easy and a unique parts resource.
Do a Google and see what I'm talking about.
Dirty Dingus McGee

·
Registered
736 Posts
Not in the case of the earlier Falcons, for they used a different size of parts alltogether. You can obtain the very same parts via common old orange Dorman bins. For I think they are used in a few locations on an auto.

Wm.
What are you talking about? The brass ones?

Im talking about the nylon/felt parts
1960-1965 EQUALIZER BAR REPAIR KIT

1 - 14 of 14 Posts