Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed an MSD 6A and blaster two coil. But now the timing is screwy. I tried to time it, but the light was jumping around on me.

Today, I pulled the timing cover to see if the timing chain was messed up, but it appears to be okay. I checked the marks on the timing chain gears and the number 1 cylinder, and everything checked out okay.

I went to the MSD website, and found this:

Timing Fluctuations
If your timing seems to be jumping all over the place, check the following items:

What kind of timing light are you using? Many lights have trouble reading the MSD's capacitive discharge multiple sparks. Dial back timing lights are not recommended. Try another non-adjustable light and check the timing again. MSD offers a Timing Light, PN 8990.
Make sure you are not using Solid Core wires.
Inspect the routing of the Magnetic Pickup Harness. It should be routed clear of the coil primary wires and plug wires. It is best to route it along a ground plain such as the firewall, frame or engine block to form a shield around it.
Check the polarity of the magnetic pickup wires of the distributor. Reverse the connectors and check the timing again. The correct polarity is whichever connection gives the most retarded timing.
On Chevrolet engines, if the timing is retarding 10 - 20 degrees inspect for cam-walk. This is especially prevalent on engines with a chrome or stock timing chain cover that is actually bowing forward allowing the cam to "walk".

What do you guys think my problem is? I still have to put the front of my engine together tommarrow. I just left it because my mom had dinner ready, then I got lazy after that. lol

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a MSD Ready-to-Run in my 289. Same sort of thing happened when I tried to time it first. In my case, it appeared that the magnetic pickup clamp for the timing light was picking up the signal from the #2 spark wire, right next to it (timing stobe lit correct marks intermitantly). I moved the #1 wire and clamp a bit further away from #2 and degree marks lit up correctly aligned...simple.

If the car runs, you can't be that far off...it'd stumble, ping or miss if you were.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On 2002-01-18 17:55, ValveTubeHead wrote:
If the car runs, you can't be that far off...it'd stumble, ping or miss if you were.
What if the car acts like it won't shift and the engine just "pops" while pressing the gas trying to go faster?

I haven't put the front of the engine back together yet, I will tommorow (going to the World of Wheels show tonight.) I'll try moving the wires and the pickup.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah, my light is a cheap Craftsman unit I picked up at Sears for $40. The most basic one they had.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts