Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm supposed to drive my car about 15 miles thurs am to have exhaust system put on. 429 with stock ex. manifolds only-Guy told me today that I will burn a valve or catch the car on fire if I just drive it a couple miles-True or not?>Thanks for any feedback

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
I drove my 73 torino 3 miles with open manifolds (78 460). It didnt want to shift properly but never had a problem with anything.

If your studs are good you could pick up some cheap manifold adaptors and put some flex pipe on to make the exhaust exit to the ground.

Just BABY it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a mechanic friend told me he drove his racecar for 10 years without a problem-460 also

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
With manifolds and no exhaust?

Headers are a bit different.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
...driving to the Muffler shop with open exhausts has been a "rite of passage" for engine modifers for decades. I have done the deed so many times that it doesn't even register any more. I am more concerned with being stopped by an unforgiving police officer than I am by potential engine damage.

The "potential" valve damage is a possiblity of too rapid cooling of exhaust valves from direct exposur to much cooler air, might warp or cause cracks to develop on the thinner valve seat surfaces.

I think it is a possiblity, maybe slight. But I think the problem is more one of repetition. A one time trip is not something I would worry about.

As long as the engine is running, the temperature is not going to be a problem. If you want to be extra safe, when you turn the motor off, plug up the head pipe with something that doesn't burn.

Some guys swear it is not a problem, offer proof that they have done it for years;...me? if its my engine, my money? then I'd rather err on the side of takeing a precautionary step then worry about it. If you notice, even diesel trucks and irrigation engines out in fields - without mufflers - at least have a flapper valve to close off the exhaust stack when the engine is not running. They just might be a reason for doing it?

Keep the engine running, plug the exhaust if you have to stop the engine for any length of time. Be sure to look under the car for things like dangling wires or flammable materials. Keep the windows open to cut down on fumes collecting in the car. Chose your route, time of day to get to the shop in the least amount of time ... stay away from residential areas, police stations and go light on the throttle. No need to P.O. people anymore than you have to.

Most cops will let you slide, once, as long as you aren't being an A*s

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 7/5/06 1:39am ]</font>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts