Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I had a shade tree guy replace the a/c compressor on my 97 T-bird (he was willing to do it on the cheap) and when I picked my car up I heard this strange grinding noise and I knew for sure it was coming from the new compressor.

I took it back to him and he washed his hands of it saying he didn't have any idea what it could be. I got a second opinion that same day. The other guy did a quick look over and said it could be something simple or something expensive. I'm gonna be taking it back in the next couple days.

I've seen on other forums that it could be an issue with a part called the "harmonic balancer".

Has anyone ever heard of or dealt with an issue like this? Any info or advice would be great.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not sure if this is it but did he put an oil charge in the new compressor? Did he use a professional grade a/c machine or did he use the auto parts store can guage and hose? How many lbs of a/c did he put in? Could be faulty clutch or bearing as well as the newer stuff is usually never as good as the original!

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
The harmonic balancer (aka damper) is behind the crankshaft pulley. It does nothing on it's own except provide weight balance, but does establish spacing to the pulley. Not likely anything to do with that, unless loose or a pulley misalignment is causing issues. A "grinding noise" is difficult to diagnose by remote control - especially if you cannot answer the questions - so hopefully you have someone there that can pinpoint the issue.

David

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Ok I had a shade tree guy replace the a/c compressor on my 97 T-bird (he was willing to do it on the cheap) and when I picked my car up I heard this strange grinding noise and I knew for sure it was coming from the new compressor.

I took it back to him and he washed his hands of it saying he didn't have any idea what it could be. I got a second opinion that same day. The other guy did a quick look over and said it could be something simple or something expensive. I'm gonna be taking it back in the next couple days.

I've seen on other forums that it could be an issue with a part called the "harmonic balancer".

Has anyone ever heard of or dealt with an issue like this? Any info or advice would be great.
''ON THE CHEAP" , what's that saying ? you get what you ....... > think it got to do with money

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Harmonic balancers do not make grind noises...
As I said I don't know for sure. Thanks for the constructive post champ.

''ON THE CHEAP" , what's that saying ? you get what you ....... > think it got to do with money
It's means what it says. I got the job done for cheap. What's there to be confused over? I'm aware of the concept of "you get what you pay for". Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
OK Champ, listen, your description was lacking in so many details that I could have written TWO paragraphs on what you could do. Instead I simply told you what a Balancer does NOT do.

I've replaced several BAD balancers, almost always on a GM product LOL, and they rattle a little, but don't make grinding noises.

Once YOU have figured out what the hell is REALLY going on then come back and explain.

You have so much non information out there I thought you were spam.

How does this sound?
he didn't have any idea what it could be. I got a second opinion that same day. The other guy did a quick look over and said it could be something simple or something expensive.
REALLY? Could you be any more obscure?

OK how's this, you tell me what's wrong with my computer. me: Hi, my computer made a weird noise and I took it back to the store and they said it is not their problem, and I read on a website that computers often make noise when they're turned on. It could be an expensive issue or a cheap one... What's wrong with my computer???

Were you looking for a yes or a now and that's it? Or a solution??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK Champ, listen, your description was lacking in so many details that I could have written TWO paragraphs on what you could do. Instead I simply told you what a Balancer does NOT do.

I've replaced several BAD balancers, almost always on a GM product LOL, and they rattle a little, but don't make grinding noises.

Once YOU have figured out what the hell is REALLY going on then come back and explain.

You have so much non information out there I thought you were spam.

How does this sound? REALLY? Could you be any more obscure?

OK how's this, you tell me what's wrong with my computer. me: Hi, my computer made a weird noise and I took it back to the store and they said it is not their problem, and I read on a website that computers often make noise when they're turned on. It could be an expensive issue or a cheap one... What's wrong with my computer???

Were you looking for a yes or a now and that's it? Or a solution??

My original post was made at the end of the month ( when I have no money to just have the situation ironed out on the spot ) and so I was stuck with a number of what ifs in my mind. What I was asking, is if anyone had ever dealt with or heard of a grinding noise/feeling related to the a/c compressor, because this is after all the "tech section".

I didn't want an online diagnosis or for someone to just come out of mothballs and tell me exactly what was wrong. I posted a simple question going off of what little I knew at the time. Maybe I didn't simplify my question enough?

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
s if anyone had ever dealt with or heard of a grinding noise/feeling related to the a/c compressor
YES, I have heard of a/c compressors making a grinding noise/feeling.

Would you like Further diagnosis of this issue or possible explanations on how or why it could happen I would be pleased to elaborate later today.

I hope this helps you.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
My original post was made at the end of the month ( when I have no money to just have the situation ironed out on the spot ) and so I was stuck with a number of what ifs in my mind. What I was asking, is if anyone had ever dealt with or heard of a grinding noise/feeling related to the a/c compressor, because this is after all the "tech section".

I didn't want an online diagnosis or for someone to just come out of mothballs and tell me exactly what was wrong. I posted a simple question going off of what little I knew at the time. Maybe I didn't simplify my question enough?
your question on the A/C is simple .
simple answer will fix it. .......Take it to a quality repair shop

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.