Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why the hell do they make slicks so much taller than regular street tires. I used to have a set of 26" tall M/T and I would put them on and it was like going from 4:11 to 3:50 gears. What gives? Cant find anything shorter.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I'm not sure, but I'm going to give it a shot. First, I would assume the taller tire allows more sidewall flex to help absorb some of the shock of the initial hit. Second, a taller tire gives you a bigger "footprint" which aids traction on a limited width tire. Thats why all the stock class cars run a 30" tall tire, even though it is limited to 9" of actuall tread.

I hope I'm close.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Taller tires have more diameter and therefore you will have less wheel speed.

It's very dangerous to have ultra high wheel speeds on the big end of the strip.

It's the main reason there have been alot of crashes with those small tired 5.0 cars with mega horsepower.

Job Spetter Jr. runs a 5.0 coupe to 7.97 @ 177 with a 28 inch tall tire!

That 28 inch tall tire is really rotating incredibly fast at 177 mph!

That same 177 mph with a 32 inch tire would drop the wheel speed alot!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
He doesn't want ultra small like the ricers. They make a 20" diameter slick and then jump to 26". Some of us really, really want a 24" diameter slick to match our current tires.

Hey Nasty, how well do the BFG drag radials bite? On a 14" rim I'm stuck with a 215.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Mickey Thompson does make a 22.0/8.0-15 ET Drag, which they advertise as being 22.4" tall and having a 7.9" tread width. You are right, I the only 24" slicks I see are for 13" rims.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just about every tire on a performance vehicle is about 24" tall. This is a guess but I think it is close. The reason I posted the question is that I was looking for a drag radial but the price was going to about 320$ mounted and balanced, for that kind of money I could get real slicks on seperate rims so I start looking and there is nothing out there I could find that wasnt 26+ inches tall.

I have yet to use a drag radial so I cant answer the question about them, although I have friends that use them and they say traction is good, but not like a slick, also tire life is low, about a year if you drag race a lot, another reason to run a dedicated slick.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
The tire rack sells BFG drag radials for about $100 a piece. I'm sure it doesn't include shipping. Usually you can find a local guy that will mount them for $10-$15 if they (the rims) are off the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts