Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I was just checing out your pics again....wow! Nice job on all that. The grill black out, You show making door panels, could you go into a little more detail about that process. Sorry, but Im a mechanic type engine guy, so the interior tricks are not part of my brain mass. THx.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wished I was a better mechanic!!! The interior stuff was pretty straight forward. I took 1/4 masonite and used the original panels to help mock up the new panels. That included the measuriung and cutting holes for the clips that hold the panel to the door (purchased new ones from Dearborn Classics), the door and window cranks and the arm rests (which I dyed to match the burgandy trim). Figuring that the new upolstery would add a little more thickness to the new panel compared to the originals, I actually made sure that the panel was actually about 1/4 to 1/2 shorter and less wide than the original. I got the interior kit from Rod Boys. Not cheap but worth it. Did have to cut the material to fit. Used 3M upolstery spray adhesive to bond the material to the masoite and then stretched stapled and trimmed everything (must of used 300 staples per door panel!!). That's about it. I was happy with the results. Am working on a custom center console and will be putting the reupolstered bench seat back in her this weekend. Will post some new pics. Good luck...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well you did a great job... how could you go wrong with 300 staples!

My panels are so warped, Im not sure I could even trace them accurately. Rod Boys? Cant find them online, I get some RC car place when I search it out. Hey did you see the 2nd part of my question on the "tires" post? Sorry but so far your the one who responded to me, so Im gonna squeeze ya for more info
If you ever have anything I can answer, I'll be happy to help. THX, Chris

·
Registered
13 Posts
Chris,
They are a little too tight to the outside fender is you are running a larger tire (255x15). A better fit would be the 5" or 5.5 BS wheel. I have a set of 6" BS from my RX7 that will fit on the rear, but all of the offset is to the inside which is fine for the RX7, but not what I want on the Fairlane. I am still looking for a set of wheels, not sure about the front. The 4.5" BS hits the a frame. Jim...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Jim-- if you go to summitracing.com and type in "wheels" and then choose 'wheels" you can start to break it down by backspacing, bolt pattern etc.. then you dont have 100 pages to look through.. the weld rodlites are pretty cool and have a 5.5 BS, (but they have a dual bolt pattern which I dont like--the pic on summit doesnt show it but I called Weld and they said the 4.5 is dual patterned with the 4.75 ) theres some others like the Centerline Telstar also cool...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts