Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here. My name is Shaun. I have had a few old fords, 65 galaxie and a 63 falcon. I just picked up this 63 fairlane 500. Original 221 engine, original paint, original black and yellow plates and dealer license plate frame. Has the auto trans. So, engine runs good. It’s basically untouched besides an aluminum radiator. I haven’t done a compression test but it starts right up, has decent power, doesn’t shake or anything, no funny noises.
Problem is, it puffs out white smoke. At idle it’s noticeable, when revving, it’s pretty extreme. I don’t notice any blue tint, I also don’t see the coolant level dropping in the radiator. The smoke doesn’t smell like gas, or oil, it just smells like exhaust. The engine oil is clean, no water mixed in. I’m unsure where to start with this, I just want to enjoy this thing, but this is too much smoke. What you all think?

Here’s a video link I put on YouTube:

Also here’s a picture of the smoke and a few shots of the car

Attachments

·
Registered
752 Posts
Does the trans have a vacuum modulator?
The mod could have a ruptured diaphragm and the engine is sucking trans fluid up the line and burning it.
That usually shows as white smoke.
Pull the hose off at the mod and see if there is trans oil in the hose.
There should not be any oil in the hose if the mod is good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will have to check out the modulator. One thing my wife said she noticed is that the smoke has kinda a sweet smell to it which sounds like it would be ATF.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had thought about coolant also, only thing is, the coolant level in the radiator is not dropping so I figured it wouldn’t be that?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Is the trans fluid level dropping? Pull the valve covers and check the valve seals. Only takes a few old broken ones to start sucking oil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well guys I put in a new vac modulator. Still smoking. Also, once the choke opens up, the engine wants to die. Give it gas when the choke is open and it dies immediately. When the choke plate is closed all the way, that’s when it runs it’s best. I sprayed the base of the carb and all places where vacuum fittings are, no leaks. It has the autolite 2100 2 barrel carb.
Any ideas and could this be related to the engine smoking?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Older car means old vacuum hoses anywhere. Unplug all to the carb and see what happens. My 68 Cougar must have 10 miles of hoses due to hide away headlights, etc,. More luxury items on older cars, more vacuum hoses. Also make sure and check any that go to the intake manifold. It could even be one going to the dist's diaphram.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Well guys I put in a new vac modulator. Still smoking. Also, once the choke opens up, the engine wants to die. Give it gas when the choke is open and it dies immediately. When the choke plate is closed all the way, that’s when it runs it’s best. I sprayed the base of the carb and all places where vacuum fittings are, no leaks. It has the autolite 2100 2 barrel carb.
Any ideas and could this be related to the engine smoking?
This means you have a fairly large vacuum leak.

If there are no vac leaks at the carb base, or at all vacuum fittings and hoses, then you may have blown intake gasket(s).
If the intake gasket(s) are blown on the bottom of the port(s) then this would also explain the smoke, as it would be sucking oil in from the valley.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well guys I don’t see any intake leaks from spraying around. I pulled the carb off and it was filthy inside. The old fuel filter has orangish colored gas. Replaced the filter, cleaned carb and put in a fresh tank of gas. Runs better but still smoking the same

also pulled the plugs and did a compression test. Plugs are all dry, just black. I assume from running rich? No signs of wet oil on them. Compression test each cylinder was 100-105 pounds. As far as power it feels great. I assume it’s not coolant for smoke because I would have seen that onthe plugs? I’m actually leaning toward the carb because it’s not running unless the choke is closed and the bad has for the smoke. Thoughts everyone?

Attachments

·
Subscriber
672 Posts
hoo-boy...

there are more educated engine people on here than me, but i'm going to say that your compression numbers are low because the rings are shot, and that's why the plugs are black and its smoking.

hopefully someone else has a rosier outlook.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If the gas was that bad, I'd pull the carb's top plate and check your float bowl and jets. Probably need cleaning. One thing about all this is, you're running an older fuel setup that wasn't designed for the gas that we have today. Carb and fuel system may need some major work. Also rings are weak, which also tells me valve seals are probably history too. Even if the seals are good, doesn't mean the stems aren't worn both will make her smoke. Exhaust seals will smoke out the pipe but won't hurt the plugs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What should the compression numbers be on a healthy 221 engine? Not sure what I should do next. Bypass the fuel tank and fuel pump and run fresh gas straight into the carb, if it still smokes, pop the valve covers and take a look at valve seals. Looking like this engine needs a rebuild or what would you guys do?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Rebuild the carb and see what happens. Personally, find a 70-73 302/C-4 and rebuild both and retire the 221/auto. Keep them for someone looking for that. Use the 221 air cleaner and tell everyone it's a 221. No one will know the difference.

·
Registered
651 Posts
My old 221 did the same thing, On mine, the valve guides shot. Rather than fix I decided on a 5.0
By the way, If you need another 221, I;ve got one you can have that does run fine

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My old 221 did the same thing, On mine, the valve guides shot. Rather than fix I decided on a 5.0
By the way, If you need another 221, I;ve got one you can have that does run fine
it’s running decent now. Still smoking on heavy throttle. Appreciate the engine offer. Where are you located?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Welcome. Long shot here but if your pilot jets are plugged the car will not idle unless it pulls fuel from the main jets. It will not pull fuel from the main jets with the throttle plate closed unless the choke plate is closed. Those plugs look totally gas fouled - black and crusty not shiny and oily.

My guess is the pilot circuit is clogged and the car is adjusted to idle off the main jets with choke closed.

I would clean the carb - especially the pilot jets and air passages. when you put it back together, adjust the airscrews and the idle stop screw until she idles off the idle circuit.

While you are at it, check the throttle plate shaft for play which would also cause a vacuum leak.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts