Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my grand parent gave me this car. Its a 64 custom 500. Speedo says 15,000 and some change. So im not sure if its 115,000 or 15,000. They bought it from an elderly lady that used it for her sunday church car. Front drums are stuck. Im currently sucking all the old fuel out as its been sitting for about 10 years now. Fuel tank was dropped and taken to a place to clean and “coat” the inside ??? I would like to make it a cruiser kinda sleeper hot rod. Just looking for ideas or suggestions on what to do. Im open to ideas right now. Also its a 3 on the tree.
Font Gas Automotive tire Electric blue Electronic device
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Hood
Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Tire

·
Registered
1963 Ford Galaxie 500
168 Posts
Pretty cool. Looks to be in pretty good shape, no real rust in the engine compartment, which could translate to the undercarriage. I have a four-door, and they are fun.

·
Premium Member
6,020 Posts
Welcome to the FM forum!
If you've only got 15,000 miles, the front drums are probably okay. Still, this might be a good time to convert to discs. Lots of info on that here.. you can buy a kit, pull used parts or go Scarebird.

Reactions: Carlos spicyweiner

·
Registered
90 Posts
very nice. love the look of that. I have a 4dr as well, never beat up or hot rodded in previous life.. and only 56k from new. enjoy your ride, its pretty. the 6 is nifty weird, but the 3 on the tree is awesome.

·
Premium Member
6,020 Posts
Whatever engine you put in there, realize that half the Toyotas in your town are going to be able to beat you off the line. Your Gal has its comfort and good looks going for it, I would build on those assets.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol dang for real!? That would almost be kinda funny. Are you saying that just because it such a big and heavy car? Not being rude this is a new game to me and my first project, just trying to learn by asking questions

·
Registered
90 Posts
nope. for real. I mean, it what it is unless you build a race car. My v6 8 year old suv has 305 hp and a 7? speed transmission. and its like sage in color. total soccer mom mobile. but will rip off a line. :ROFLMAO: and heavier than my galaxie... just a fact of modern technology.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well this kinda takes the wind out of my sails. Was in the process of finding a motor to do and engine and tranny swap. Maybe i will just look at keeping it original then

·
Subscriber
828 Posts
nah man - don't let this take the wind out of your sails.
that thing will turn heads everywhere you go, just like it is right now. all you need to do is wash/wax it.

the little VW 4-door in my driveway will rip the doors off my big-block Galaxie all day long.

and - (i'm assuming you're not married) the ladies don't care what engine is in it. they just want to ride in the cool car.

·
Registered
90 Posts
this is true. ^ Ive told my GF many times that If i knew then what i knew now, id would have pulled a lot more girls with my 62 falcon (6 cyl car with a 2 speed) than i ever did(nt) with my old hot rodded to death 71 mustang I had when i was 17-20. Man my GF at the time HATED that car back then. But it flew. and broke... a lot. :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lol nope not married just engaged. Well might as well say im married. Her family is all gearheads that have built cars and drag raced their whole life. So to her its just another car coming out of the shop

·
Premium Member
6,020 Posts
Don't let Ford dictate what yer car should look like. I didn't!

Reactions: Carlos spicyweiner

·
Registered
90 Posts
honestly, if I was doing a swap from an i6, i'd go to a stroked Windsor. parts availability and options of parts, cost, weight and fitment make way more sense. and yes, I have an fe car but it came with one.

·
Subscriber
828 Posts
"m in sc" is speaking truth...unless the FE is free, there are way easier options out there.

if the FE is free, then there's no reason to take a 390 over a 428.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
honestly, if I was doing a swap from an i6, i'd go to a stroked Windsor. parts availability and options of parts, cost, weight and fitment make way more sense. and yes, I have an fe car but it came with one.
+1

Hello,

Unless you like old big blocks and have deep pockets, there's loads more bang for the buck, if you will, in more modern Windsor. Heck, even a fuel injected one from an Explorer with the overdrive transmission will feel like a very substantial upgrade at a reasonable cost.

Another thing to keep in mind is the older the technology, the more inefficient it is (ability to turn a certain amount of liquid fuel into mechanical energy at the tyres). Even rebuilding a stock FE will be a bit of a disappointment in the performance arena not to mention feeling like waste of money.

If I may share an example, A few months ago I finished at home refreshing a Z390 engine for my '68 XL as the original Y390 was dying with 300,000 miles on it. The sheer lack of aftermarket parts, for some reason more so with the FE limited me to settling for a stock rebuild. If you're kind of new to this, a Y390 is a low horsepower 390 entry level big block most cars came with. It is single exhaust, 2 jet, smaller camshaft, lower static compression engine.

These engines are anemic, as people have posted they are slow, you'd probably be beaten in a Prius. The Z390 is the special order high-er horsepower 390. It just happened someone special ordered my old parts car of a 1968 LTD with one and so I chose to refresh that one. Aside from some trivial things like a double roller timing set and Moly piston rings (Rock Auto had a clearance on) the internals are stock. It does have Ford 1976 FE electronic ignition and a 4100 carburetor with the 1.12 venturi on it as well as dual exhaust.

All that might, I say might :) sound like something, but it isn't. It's just slightly quicker than my 1994 Grand Marquis, which is slightly quicker than rock erosion. ;) But for 1500 dollars more or less I have a smooth running, quiet reliable engine and as to many others points made it's a stylish car and that's the merits of that car. Is it quicker than the original Y390? You bet. I might even now beat a Prius with it. Is it still pathetic by modern performance standards? Absolutely. But that doesn't bother me.

OK keep that in mind, I have also built up two Y390's previously for two other 66 full size Fords (an LTD and galaxie 500 XL). They are calculated just north of 500 gross hp at sea level. One is full multiport and the other is still carbureted. I have driven the carbureted one and it's no contest with even the Z390. But that's the difference in spending 1500 dollars on a refresh and 13 grand on a total rebuild (only thing I kept was the block and crank from both cars along with the front dress).

That's my case for a used fuel injected Windsor and an overdrive transmission, it's a happy compromise that will not set your wallet on fire nor make you feel like you've wasted your time.

Just thoughts...

Cheers

1 - 20 of 36 Posts