Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Great car, great story! Looking forward to you getting it cleaned up and rolling.

My gf just loves cruising in the conv Galaxie or my 1950 F-1 pickup....and that latter one goes NOWHERE fast with the original flathead 6 in it. She just loves the cruising, and the reactions from people.

All great info on big blocks and other engine alternatives. I really want to build a big block for the sound, stance, and so I can cross that off my list of things I've built/driven. But I harbor no illusions this tank will be a blistering road machine with a mild 390 or 428 build. But the sound!!!

Reactions: puttster

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
update. Changed the points out and after some head scratching finally got some spark. Put the new fuel pump on and that was the ticket. Got fuel, plenty of fuel. Now ive got gas pouring out of every orfice it can come out of on the carb. What u guys think a stuck float?
Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
77 Posts
Oof. You sure do have fuel flow now

I assume it was a new mechanical fuel pump with the correct pressure, so I'd lean towards 1) stuck float and 2) an old carb that needs a rebuild. I'm not familiar with these engines at all...what carb is on there?

·
Registered
90 Posts
yup. take apart and clean needle and seat, minimally. make sure float isnt sinking... take float out of carb and shake listening for fuel in the float. If so, you need a new one.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mike Carbs should have a kit to rebuild this (quick shipping, too), and full instructions. Easy peasy.

If it's a old brass float, you can heat water just before boiling (so no bubbles), then put the float in there. Any bubbles indicates a leaky float. Definitive test if you're unsure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’m from the “keep it as it is” school. Clean it up, tune it up. drive it. It’s probably worth more since it’s so original. If you want some more pep, add headers, and better exhaust.

·
Administrator
21,851 Posts
Just made it to this post. Nice car, love the color. If it were me I'd just clean it up, get it roadworthy and enjoy the gas mileage you wouldn't get with a bigger engine. In that aspect you could whoop all those hotrods out there! (y) A 460 is another option but I'd see how you like it as is. I think it has all the charisma it needs to get attention!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Put a stock low mile coyote with trans in it. should be a few around the wrecking yards these days. Heck while you at it just put a crown vic front frame clip power rack and pinion and disc already there..........or keep it stock and cut up something not so rare of condition as that beauty.

·
Registered
153 Posts
There are cars that deserve engine swaps and performance mods...this is not one of them...keep it original. It may be the only one exactly like it in existence. Why have a car like everyone else's when you can have something unique and preserve the history? If anyone asks you why you don't put a bigger engine in it, just tell them you are perfectly comfortable with the size of your...... ;)

·
Administrator
21,851 Posts
There are cars that deserve engine swaps and performance mods...this is not one of them...keep it original. It may be the only one exactly like it in existence. Why have a car like everyone else's when you can have something unique and preserve the history? If anyone asks you why you don't put a bigger engine in it, just tell them you are perfectly comfortable with the size of your...... ;)
Saw a sentence in the back window of a lifted 4x4 truck that said "lowriders can't get it up" forget the rest but my thought was....at least they got one! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yup. I have to agree.

this is exactly why my 62 falcon is still a 6 cyl car. (even though I've been told for 10 years to put a small block in it). I would like a t5 in it at some point though, that 2 speed is limiting, to say the least. Ive done some upgrades for sure, but nothing radical. 2bbl weber, elec ignition, and swapped in a 68 200 when the anemic 144 finally died . Point being, id keep it a 6 as well, maybe update a few things to make it more driveable & reliable for todays roads. .02

·
Registered
77 Posts
Totally agree! This thing is solid and beautiful, as is. The engine, though not a blistering tire churner, looks right at home in that old girl, and the story behind the car perfectly fits the way it's set up.

My 1950 F1 is all original and 100% solid (spent it's entire life in Wyoming on a farm), has a Flathead six, 4-spd unsynchro'd transmission, and even 6V electrics. The only thing they changed was the color (crappy pre-auction paint job). It's staying that way, too, right down to the suspension and interior. I fix what I need to and replace things with exact appropriate parts to keep it as "stock" as possible, and people LOVE that thing.

Reactions: 51 Ford F1
21 - 36 of 36 Posts