Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am stuck!... I got the radio working. Replaced the 1.4 ceramic resistor, (Radio Shack 1.5 @ 2 Watt) re-soldered ALL of the board connections, and the wired connections. Cleaned up the variable caps (tuner), Re soldered the "lifting" foil on the board. The radio works and works well. Okay so whats the problem?.

I can NOT understand how to replace the pilot light!. I HAVE the Sams Photofacts sheet BUT it explains NOTHING about replacement of the light bulb!!!... Tells you what one it is, but not how to replace the bulb!!!....

Anybody replace this stupid bulb?. I spent over an hour looking at this front piece. I think the front plate snaps out. But if that is done, the plastic back (gray) plate will bend out the indicator and it will break off.

So, I am without a nice green lit AM radio dial.... (like I remember).... Impressive at night when visitors are riding in the 62....

ANY help will be appreciated..... But, I DID get it working. Playing WMID Classic oldies as I type..... Now, all I need to do is get a replacement speaker. (5 x7), YES friends, Five by Seven speaker!!!... Todays speakers are 6 x 9.... Guess it's trash hunting for a old TV console or something..with a5 x7... LOL..

·
Registered
751 Posts
If your speaker is shaped like this (2 end mounting holes), I see these on eBay quite often, or at the Mustang parts house sites like CJ Mustangs, Drake, etc ...usually around $15 + s/h.

I replaced the bulbs in my '64 Gal radio last spring, and mine too required gaining access behind the radio dial back plate. I just "snuck" it out from behind the dial needle, ever so gently and slowly ....the needle is suspended on it's trolley string, so it does have give in it. I placed the needle mid-dial so it had the most wiggle room. As an fyi, mine takes 2 bulbs, but yours may be just a bit different.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your speaker is shaped like this (2 end mounting holes), I see these on eBay quite often, or at the Mustang parts house sites like CJ Mustangs, Drake, etc ...usually around $15 + s/h.

I replaced the bulbs in my '64 Gal radio last spring, and mine too required gaining access behind the radio dial back plate. I just "snuck" it out from behind the dial needle, ever so gently and slowly ....the needle is suspended on it's trolley string, so it does have give in it. I placed the needle mid-dial so it had the most wiggle room. As an fyi, mine takes 2 bulbs, but yours may be just a bit different.
This one don't have a trolley string. Matter of fact, has no string at all. It's all mechanical with the center needle moving from the center variable caps... I see the wire going down, but do not see the bulb or the socket. Looking from the bottom chassey plate there is no access there either, as the front wraps around the mid chassey. Then about a inch in connects to the rest of the chassey by 1/4 inch screws.

No access, can not see the bulbs or the scockets from any angle. Sides, bottom or top. It has to come off some how.... I know it's there. I see the blue wire going to the volume control switch (seperate from the radios power) and then to the black wire going to the bulbs socket.

Seems the Galaxy radio is quite a different model from this one. There is enough of room, as I can tell, where I can add a second socket and light on top of the metal dial frame. Can't bee seen behind the dash plate. If I can't get it off I just may do a add there. I may also be able to go a little smaller bulb, but will know when I go to put it in next summer. Be nice to replace it though.....

Nothing on line about this..... No documentation at all.... Any other ideas?.

Thanks

·
Registered
751 Posts
Try e-mailing this guy for a radio manual: ELLIOTTSRADIO

He's a retired o.e. radio repair shop for Ford and other makes, cleaning out his old inventory. I bought a Bendix radio (64 Ford) from him in mid 2012. Manuals that I've seen him offer on google were generally around $10. His site must have sustained some kind of problem, ....so, not much to see on it right now. But, his e-mail address is right there on the main page -just e-mail him and go from there.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take it apart, remembering that the location gauge in front of the needle moves straight UP or DOWN depending on the design of the chassis.

That radio can't have a total of more than 15 screws holding it together...
This one moves the needle from side to side from the center of the variable caps housing. If I remove the front part housing the needle will not come out and will slide up (hitting the face plate) and bend outward.

I looked at this for over an hour. I do not see any way unless I disconnect the tuner caps from the sodered points. But that dosen't help because I need to get behind the gray back plate where I see the black wire goes to the socket.

Here's a picture of a side view.

62RadioRepair03.jpg

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That side view stinks... But there IS a way it's simple as cake, you're just not holding your head right.

You should NEVER have to unsolder anything to get to a bulb nor a string (I.E. the tuner pointer string) That's just NOT how things were engineered back then.
Okay, got some pictures. Hope these will tell you something.

*--I did try taking the screws out of the front rounded part housing, and no go. I would need to remove the power transistor to remove it. Don't know if that needs to be removed.

*--I too was of the understanding that almost nothing has to be removed to replace a stupid bulb. Maybe this radio is the exception?.

*--Anyway I tried to remove the front plate. The indicator needle starts to bend in the process against the frequency face plate and the gray back plate (plastic). I stopped.

*--From the rear, of that part of the housing is all metal. Even under. There is a metal strip where the rest of the middle Cassey screws to that part. Even if the front part (including the Cassey house) separates from the rest, I would still have to deal with about 1.5 inches of metal surrounding the rest. No access from what I can see at that point.

*--It wouldn't be too bad if the socket clip was visible, then I could use long nose pliers to sneak it out. But, can't see the socket or bulb. All I can see is the wire going into that area and metal covering, around and under and top.

*--This radio's tuner has NO string for the indicator. It is on a center pivit, that moves right left as either buttons are pushed or manual tuned. It's all gears.

*--I did get this radio working. replaced the 1.4 ceramic resistor, and re-soldered every single component connection on the board and on the variable tuning caps, trim pots, I cleaned the radio board (spray) before I started. The board caps are still in good condition. No leaks!. I was expecting to need to replace those. It works like it was new. Except: "The Stupid Pilot Light". LOL.......

If you need any particular placed pictures let me know. I have the radio right here.

Thanks for your help.

Rear.jpg Side01.jpg

Side02.jpg Top.jpg

Under.jpg

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
stop.

Remove chrome face, remove tuner and volume lock nuts, remove 4 bolts holding face in place.

Pull face forward.

UNDER face you will see a black back board with the orange dial needle in front of it. I think the black board is screwed into place . Behind that is where your small bulb will be located

This isn't rocket science #13 :)

I think that will get you near where you can figure it out.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
stop.

Remove chrome face, remove tuner and volume lock nuts, remove 4 bolts holding face in place.

Pull face forward.

UNDER face you will see a black back board with the orange dial needle in front of it. I think the black board is screwed into place . Behind that is where your small bulb will be located

This isn't rocket science #13 :)

I think that will get you near where you can figure it out.
Tried that. The power transistor at the front on the bottom is holding the inside face plate on. I would have to remove the power transistor to remove the complete plate. What I observed before is the needle bending also while I was trying to wiggle the complete face plate off.

I'l' try it again. This time, I'll remove the power transistor if I have to. I'll also email the guy too....

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 15 of 15 Posts