Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am a newbi here and to Ford cars. I admit, I am a recovering moparhalic :p I traded for a 1970 Ford XL a couple months ago from a local junk yard that i had been seeing there for 3 years, so one day i looked at it and saw it had very solid floors and all so i traded him for it. I took it home, put gas in it and a battery and it cranked right up, runs very good. It has a 390 engine with an automatic transmission Black over yellow, i will try to get pictures soon. The bumpers needs rechroming so i thought about painting them body color, what y'all think about that ? also, I need the passenger door glass and querter glass. I have noticed that most of the Ford restro companeys don't carry or offer a whole lot for the 69-70 Galaxie. Looks like im rambleing a bit, tring to keep my mind off those mopars :p Anyways Hi every one, I hope to make a lot of realy cool friends here.

·
Registered
219 Posts
where you located in Alabama? if around Huntsville where I'm at, there is a 69 or 70 that's white with body colored bumpers I could direct you to check out. Man it's another tornado day here in the deep south, heard a subdivision a mile from me is gone, anxious to get home and see if it's there!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im in Walker county Al, a pritty good ways from Huntsville, I do have a uncle in Decator or Madison but i havent seen him in years. He is a big Babtist preacher up there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not so easy though. Today my boyfriend wanted to stop by a shop to ask about something, he was taking forever so i went in to see what was taking so long and there was 3 mopars in there. Its like when you quit smoking and every one around you smokes in your face.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hello Dibs!
I too am new here. I recently bought a 61 Galaxie. First Ford in MANY years so, I am relatively new to Ford also. I bought this car to drive around in while my 1960 Plymouth Suburban is in getting painted but i think I am getting hooked and may have to become a Ford person. Oh well, looks like I will need to get a bigger garage.
I own a 67 GTO[Pontiac], 1960 Plymouth, and an 2003 Oldsmobile. None of these companies exist anymore and I just happen to have bought them all, just before they went under. Hope Ford is stronger than superstition.
I've found this site and the people here to be very helpful.
Good luck and enjoy!
Karl.

·
Registered
219 Posts
regarding your question of painted bumpers, I'm going to try to attach a craigslist ad for the galaxie I was talking about that has painted bumpers (white), this is in Huntsville, AL craigslist, see attached to determine how you like or you may find other examples on youtube of galaxies with body colored bumpers:
1969 FORD GALAXY 500 FULLY RESTORED !!!!!!

·
Administrator
21,676 Posts
I like shiny but painted isn't bad if the prep is good so it sticks good. I always wonder about how easy the paint might scratch off. As for the CL one the only things i see wrong is they need to learn how to spell GalaxIE and i don't like the donks. But the stereo sounds good and the rest isn't bad looking. I think the spelling is because they haven't had the car long enough to retrain the mind to spell it with IE, where some of us have trouble spelling the other galaxy when we are typing cause the IE becomes second nature and we discuss that one a lot more. :)

So back to the question, you are thinking of doing this with yours, not buying this car, correct? I don't know if i've seen one with bumpers same color as body, only seen them painted grey and usually because they were fiberglass with no paint to begin with. Keep an eye on ebay for the glass. Maybe you'll spot someone parting out your year and be near by that might not thought of selling the glass.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Welcome, I personally love the 69-70's, you are correct, they have not quite caught on enough for the aftermarket companies to make much. I may have a 70 NOS side glass, i will look and see, the 70's were bolt in the 69's were glue in, I have both. If you are looking for other parts give me a shout, I may have them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I had thought about painting the bumpers body color becuase they need rechroming real bad and a couple shops told me it will cost 900 per bumper to rechrome so i am left with painting or uggly bumpers. If i could find a nice set for a good price and that are close enough to go after them i might go that raught.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts