Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I got such a good response last time I posed a gun question I thought I'd ask another. Has anyone out here purchased one of the Hi-Point Carbines? I'm looking at the 9mm version. They have a slightly odd frame but reviews I've read so far everyone seems to like them. Very accurate, pistol caliber and inexpensive. Most places sell them for between the high $200's and low $300's.

Thoughts?

John

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Wondering about a long gun calibre 9mm. Is it for a tournament or just plunking?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Hi Points are a very cheap sloppy gun, either their hand guns or the rifle you are speaking of. If you have been into fire arms for any amount of time now, you will not be happy with it. But then again, if you just want to pop off rounds then the 300 bucks they bring would be ok. Keep in mind though, that with any fire arm, you get what you pay for, theres a reason there so cheap.....

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I went into one of the shops in my area to purchase some ammo and checked out the HI Point hand guns. I picked up the 45 ACP for $159 (designed after the Dessert Eagle). Wasn't expecting much from it but was very impressed how well it shoots. Gave it to a retired law enforcement friend of mine, ( a real expert on guns) to check it out and his thoughts were the same. I'm sure that there are many a better gun out there, but for the price???? It is a little bulky, but that's not a problem for me. They were out of the carbines at the time so I didn't get to check them out. They're made in Ohio not far from me.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Since I got such a good respone last time I posed a gun question I thought I'd ask another. Has anyone out here purchased one of the Hi-Point Carbines? I'm looking at the 9mm version. They have a slightly odd frame but reviews I've read so far everyone seems to like them. Very accurate, pistol caliber and inexpensive. Most places sell them for between the high $200's and low $300's.

Thoughts?

John
i can vouch for them, i own just what you are thinking about buying. the factory stocks are fugly. but hi point has so many after market add ons/goodies. 3 stock choices to choose from. all parts are very affordable. the gun shoots straighter then any rifle ive ever owned. 9mm is nice. cheap. plentiful.
it also comes in 40 and 45.

best of all they are made in USA

Welcome to Hi-Point Firearms!
Hi-Point Firearms.net - Home
ebay too

·
Registered
340 Posts
Been so long since I was in the game I thought you guys were talking about a browning hi power. I was thinking "wtf are you waiting for? Get it!"

·
Registered
734 Posts
Stop calling a 9mm a friggin Carbine. It was never a long gun caliber!
well FE we didnt name it that hi-point did. they call it a carbine so will i.
and i can hit the target easy in a long range ;)

·
Registered
734 Posts
I went into one of the shops in my area to purchase some ammo and checked out the HI Point hand guns. I picked up the 45 ACP for $159 (designed after the Dessert Eagle). Wasn't expecting much from it but was very impressed how well it shoots. Gave it to a retired law enforcement friend of mine, ( a real expert on guns) to check it out and his thoughts were the same. I'm sure that there are many a better gun out there, but for the price???? It is a little bulky, but that's not a problem for me. They were out of the carbines at the time so I didn't get to check them out. They're made in Ohio not far from me.
yeah the 45s are bulky. i own the 9mm handgun or C9. its nice, semi balanced shoots straight thanks to the fixed barrel. its only truly balanced when the mag is full. i like the carbines better.

·
Registered
734 Posts
yes (above)this is a hi-point not a beretta
(bellow)995ts

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
That's just silly.

Everyone knows that a Carbine is a Shortened version of a Full RIFLE weapon regardless of caliber.

The 9MM Did NOT start out as a Rifle therefore cannot be labeled as a carbine.

The 9mm pistol round was made INTO a carbine sized weapon with none of the characteristics of a real life carbine, which as we all know was originally a rifle cartridge weapon........

But my point is pointless as that 9mm aint' got schart on my .41 or .44 :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Carbine defined:

A carbine (*/ˈkɑrbiːn/ or /ˈkɑrbaɪn/), from French carabine, is a longarm similar to — but shorter than — a rifle or musket. Many carbines are shortened versions of full rifles, firing the same ammunition at a lower velocity due to a shorter barrel length.
From another source:

A lightweight rifle with a short barrel.
Nothing about calibre there. And if you want to get technical, anything with a rifled barrel is a rifle. ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
that's just silly.

Everyone knows that a carbine is a shortened version of a full rifle weapon regardless of caliber.

The 9mm did not start out as a rifle therefore cannot be labeled as a carbine.

The 9mm pistol round was made into a carbine sized weapon with none of the characteristics of a real life carbine, which as we all know was originally a rifle cartridge weapon........

But my point is pointless as that 9mm aint' got schart on my .41 or .44 :)
30 carbine ? They never made a rifle in 30 cal carbine.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Just bought a 45 cal High Point pistol Price was cheap. Feels top heavy but shoots great. It is going to be a garage gun so I think it is perfect. A cop friend of mine makes fun of it. Dont care. I bought it cheap for a purpose and it will work just fine. Cant see leaving my 44 Mag Ruger i the Garage. Should be fine. Good luck. Oh BTW I just left a gun show and I saw one. Looks great.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
OK I'll reiterate..... Many carbines are a shortened Version of a full rife.

I'll accept the 9mm part but not the carbine part... Those manufacturers are on crack.
FE, did you even read the entire sentence of what he posted from a dictionary? Apparently not. In your own post it clearly states "Many", it never said "All". It also stated in the discription they are "A light weight rifle with a short barrel" which it clearly is at 16.5" long.

I've read lots of reviews of these and without exception everyone liked them and said they shoot surprisingly well and straight. They've also said the quality was exceptional and they have a lifetime transferrable warranty as well. Some went on to say they were skeptical being a Hi-Point product but had a change of mind after putting them through their paces. I've owned cheap hand guns in the past like the Jennings 9mm I sold years ago and wouldn't make that mistake again. This one seems quite different to me.

Nuff said, that 9mil is nothing compared to my 200+ yard shooting .44 mag
If I'm reaching out my 7.62x39mm calibered and modified SKS is my choice. I'm pretty sure it has more punch at 200+ yards.

John

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
30 carbine ? They never made a rifle in 30 cal carbine.

WOW are you boy's clouded. The M14 is a 30 cal, the M1 is a 30 Cal they're both full size, the 30 carbine is a cut down version of those.... :rolleyes:

The world it getting ridiculous.

You cannot take a pistol round and make it bigger and call it a Carbine, that's the OPPOSITE of what the true meaning of a carbine was meant to imply~ Gaaaaah!

Those buttheads at HiPoint need to coin a new phrase for their hybrid 9mm. simple as that. Misnomers hurt the English language which very few people still speak.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts