Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to start, hello my name is Tyler! I'm from North carolina USA and I am 21.

I have bought and sold about 7 cars now. One being a boss 351c mustang (it was very rough and was roo much work for a kid at 17). I recently came across a very clean but needs restored 1965 mercury comet 202. Inline 6 automatic, 2door post/sedan.

Well I am looking to trade this mercury for a torino from 70 or 71. I haven't looked at the car but the story doesn't seem to quite add up on it.

Wheel Vehicle Car Tire Hood
Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting
Vehicle Car Hood Wheel Automotive lighting

So it's got a 429, but it's bucket seats.
The kicker is all the research I've done I can only find evidence of one 429 car being 3 on the tree car and it was a green one.

429, 3 speed standard, buckets, black vinyl top. As far as my research tells me this car should have a snake badge on it even if its a thunderjet 429. And even then it should have a gt badge and this does not.

This makes me belive it was a 351c car swapped for a 429?

I understand I need to get the vin and decode it but I don't even wanna drive 5 hours to find out its a 302 or 351c car. Especially when I have 7k in the comet, this thing needs to check out in terms of research and asking guys who know and have seen enough of them to say it's common or highly unlikely.

Though I have heard that there are alot of 1/1 cars due to the amount of options they had.

I guess my question is what does this look like and can a 429tj or cj be in an unbadged car like this? This looks as if it's a torino 500 which had the 4v 4bb 351c

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone could have ordered it unbadged. Sleeper for them back in the day and less likely to be stolen.
So with these options it's totally plausible it could be a 429 car?
The reason I ask is I'd be giving a big part of my equity for it, being that I'm 21. I can forward pictures of my comet and see what some people think of it and if it would be worth it if it's a true 429 or cobra car.
Azure Aqua Gas Tints and shades Electric blue
Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Hood Auto part
Automotive lighting Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive design
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Photograph
Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Hood Automotive lighting
Wheel Land vehicle Car Tire Vehicle
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Plant

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
An aftermarket sunroof install, I would tend to run away from. I had a 70 Cobra Torino, it was base Cobra, so amounted to 3 decals a blacked out grill flat black hood with twist locks dash and door panel badges said Cobra. Comp suspension with staggered shocks since 4 speed and base LTD Galaxie 360hp engine. No 3 on the tree for 429's in 70 Torino. Get the numbers and matching title numbers with body stamping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts