Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for an inexpensive high amp alterntor for the stang. I know we covered this in the last forum software but, I can't seem to find it. Trying not to pay $150 or more for an alt. I know one of the places was from E-bay. Never bought anything from there.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I got mine from summit. I think it is a 100 amp for $120. They had a 140 amp for $150 or so.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
i got a 100 amp Delco 12si from a local guy for about $90.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow the conversion kit to 105 amp is very tempting. I was originally looking for a 1 or 2 wire system to cleen things up a little but for $40 maybe I'll live with the old dull alt. Anyone know if you can polish a stock case? The chrome one from summit id very tempting also.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I got a Powermaster 140 amp 1-wire for my Bronco from Summit for like $150. I've been extremely pleased with it; it doesn't put out any electrical noise, has no problem holding over 14v at idle even with a 40 amp load, and I've seen it push over 150 amps while jump-starting a friend's car (I have a precision digital ammeter I installed to watch it's output). I got it about 6 months ago and it hasn't failed yet, so I guess that's good, at least better than any Schucks alternator I've seen, LOL!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats my problem now. At running speed the 65 amper is fine, but when it's idling and both elec fans are on with the fuel pump the old 65er don't cut the mustard.
Is it a true 1 wire or is there a 2nd wire for an ignition source? What did you do with the factory wires?

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
The powermaster I got from summit is a one wire with a chrome case. All that you do is run one wire from the alt to the battery + or starter solenoid, and cut out your voltage regulator. It also has a plug you can pull out to make it wire up like a stock alternator.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sweet, now the hard part. $40 for the dull alt or $120 for the pretty alt. $40 or $120? $40 or $120? Damn it.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
You could always try to find an alternator off a mid 80's Ford diesel. They're a large case, external regulated, 100-110 amp alternator. Ford Ambulances around that year will have anywhere from a 140 to 200 amp Leece Neville on them if you really need some juice. No wiring changes would be necessary although I'd recommend getting a good regulator along with it such as a transpo brand that's adjustable.

Another easy swap already mentioned is a 12SI GM style alternator with a self exciting regulator in it. I've got a friend who owns a starter and alternator shop and that's a popular swap on older Fords around here. If you've got a shop that does that stuff in your area they may be able to give you a better deal than ordering from summit or a place like that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts