Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

When it’s time to top-off the tank, drivers are confronted with a dizzying variety of choices at the pump. There’s premium gasoline, mid-grade, regular and – depending on where you live – some even offer ultra-high octane, with a rating of 94 or above.

Octane numbers, ethanol content and diesel get thrown in the mix, while TV commercials shout about special cleaning additives and better fuel economy. What’s a motorist to do? Is premium fuel worth the extra cost over regular? It’s more expensive so it must be better, right?
For the complete story on regular vs. premium fuel visit AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
1,786 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
My mustang gets 18 mpg average on 87, gets 20 on 89- but on 89 has an occasional stumble. I think the cars adaptive tune pulls a bit more timing automatically, but not to the extent of the 2011- up versions. I need a tuner to pull more timing across the board and it should be able to do even better mpg wise.

My wife's avalanche loves the cheapest 87 you gan get, tried 89 one tank, mpg dropped from 22 highway to 16( was all highway, on a trip). Hers is E85 compatible, think the alcohol burning calibration doesn't pull any timing in at all, without extra advance, higher octanes slower burn just adds exhaust heat and reduces power...

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Geze, so THIS is why I pay a yearly fee? Advertisers talking about Octane?

OK I can handle that. But WHY didn't they write the article HERE instead of putting up a link?
they probably linked it on every one of the bizillion forums they own...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts